Here’s our guide to the best of what’s on in and around Greater Manchester this weekend plus some suggestions from our social followers. 新年快乐 Xīnnián kuàilè Happy Chinese New Year folks!
Chinese New Year Celebrations
Head to Manchester for the festival that marks the start of a new lunar year in China, the city centre will be buzzing with performances, food and workshops. On Sunday the famous dragon parade will sweep through Chinatown from 12:30pm so make sure you arrive early to get a good view.
Steam, Sweat and Sewers at MOSI
A perfect day out for the kids, MOSI’s half term spectacular is running throughout the weekend. Get messy at a goo making workshop or enjoy the fun of the fair at the Victorian playground, you can even make your own glass microscope.
Cornelia Parker at The Whitworth
Witness the transformation of ordinary objects into something compelling and extraordinary. Cornelia Parker’s self titled exhibition brings together work from her career and two important new commissions.
Here’s what our Twitter followers recommend this weekend:
- @mikeyquake45: @eastlancsrly & @MoTGM
- @kerbsidemedia: Get on down to @NorthernSoulMcr and get a cheese fix. What else is there to do of a weekend?
- @ACPFestival: They could have a lovely Sunday eve with us at @GulliversNQ w/ 4 ace bands + spoken word? More info here: http://www.facebook.com/events/1525548921029997
- @placefishface: I agree, this is a definite MUST!! Great tunes , great vibes.
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest this weekend:
- Sarah Bleasdale: Look at getting free tickets to watch tv shows being made at media city can’t get better value than free!
- Mikey Lambert: Transport museum
- Chris Terry: Go and visit the Whitworth Art Gallery! It’s beautiful!
- Dot Fleming: Chinese New Year celebrations in Chinatown
- Tony Pacey: Get down to Soup Kitchen on Saturday night as it will be an historic moment in Manchester musical history…the debut gig by White Boy featuring former members of the legendary Janice Graham Band
- Castlefield Gallery: Art meets craft – Last chance to catch Launch Pad: For Posterity at Castlefield Gallery, plus there is a free screening of Sam Hanna’s ‘Old English Craft’ films and an artists talk from 2-4pm tomorrow http://www.castlefieldgallery.co.uk/…/launch-pad-for…/
- Katie Hartley: Newly opened Whitworth Art gallery, China town, cocktails at cloud 23.
- Victoria Jackson: Definitely the West Didsbury makers market it’s awesome https://www.facebook.com/MakersMaket/posts/944248282281535 Excitement is building in Market HQ today! Only 2 more sleeps before we return to the fabulous and amazingly awesome West Didsbury!
- Silvia Rovegno Malharin: Visiting MOSI is always a great idea!!
For more information about what’s on in Manchester go to www.visitmanchester.com