Here’s our guide to the best of what’s on in and around Manchester this weekend plus a cheeky competition and some bonus suggestions from our social media friends.
- The Great Northern Contemporary Craft Fair features over 160 selected designer-makers in: ceramics, glass, jewellery, interior and fashion textiles, product design, print-making and more. Taking place all weekend at Old Granada Studios, visitors can meet the makers and buy or commission work directly from them.
- There are still tickets available for The First Utility Super League Grand Final which takes place at Old Trafford on Saturday. After 27 gruelling rounds and three weeks of intense rugby league play-off action, arch-rivals St Helens and Wigan Warriors will do battle in what promises to be an epic end of season showdown.
- With an amazing line-up of internationally renowned authors and exclusive performances of specially commissioned work, Manchester Literature Festival will capture the imagination of book lovers big and small. Headline speakers this weekend include Sarah Waters and Martin Amis.
- Fancy an overnight stay at the 4* Place Aparthotel in Manchester, with a trip to the Ski and Snowboard Show and evening on the snow at Chill Factore, the UK’s longest indoor slope? Enter our competition here to be in with a chance of winning this great prize.
Here’s what our Twitter followers recommend this weekend:
- @LadyVGrantham: Gallery of Costume Platt Fields….some wonderful creations to see all housed in a lovely building.
- @GreyHorseMCR: You can always pop into our quaint pub try some fine cask ales watch @SuperLeague Wigan v St.Helens enjoy a BIG M/cr welcome
- @ContactMcr: Dracula comes to Manchester Fri/Sat http://www.contactmcr.com/dracula New dance by @markbruceco Best availability Sat 11 Oct
- @ContactMcr: last chance to catch powerful new theatre @tamashatheatre #mynameis Fri/Sat http://www.contactmcr.com/mynameis Best availability Fri 10 Oct
- @yangsingmcr: a spot of dim sum grazing with the family, a stroll through @ChinatownMCR & take in sights, sounds & colours! #LoveChineseFood
- @LeonieThomas18: Spoilt for choice! Definitely take the time to go and see the revitalised #CentralLibrary.
- @womenincomedyuk: @womenincomedyuk festival launches this weekend, 80 shows across 16 venues in #Manchester http://issuu.com/womenincomedy/docs/womenincomedy_festival_brochure_201/0 …
- @CornerhouseMcr: get your ray guns & space boots ready for Bearbarella tomorrow night with the fabulous @PeachesChrist http://bit.ly/1B39BpB
- @BadManMedia: We recommend @IndyManBeerCon
- @angieokchan: Take part in @McrLitFest – explore #Manchester waterways using self-guided tour from @TowpathTales http://talesfromthetowpath.net/participate/story-trail/
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest this weekend:
- Louisa Bexon: Visit the waterside food & craft market at the Lowry Outlet in Salford Quays
- Rachel Walker: Go and watch The Fallout play at Hard Rock Cafe, Manchester. They’re very good!
- Michelle Cooper: Go for a walk along the river and visit Botanical gardens in Didsbury, always one of my fav things to do particularly with a hangover.
- Zoe Shields: Bury light night tonight is a fabulous event
- Omar Masood: Cbeebies Lowry! Mr Tumble n Mr Maker
- Dean Marshall: Beautiful food at Montpellier’s CafeBar. Open from 10am Sat/Sun so go grab some breakfast or a tasty Sunday roast!!
- Angela Whitecross: Visit the newly opened Elizabeth Gaskell’s House. It is open on Sunday from 11 to 5 and it is a stunning restoration.
- Katie O’Connor: As usual Guerrilla Eats will be hosting a #streetfoodparty on Saturday 5pm til late. 7 street food traders, New craft beer menu, cocktail shed, DJ and a few new surprises. Come down to Fairburn Building, 55 Henry Street, Ancoats, Manchester M4 5AF to check it out. Family friendly and free entry!
- Helen Stewart: Ramsbottom Artisan Market. 45+ stalls of local organic foods and produce, crafts, fashions, and lots more plus the Chocolate Cafe, Tapas, Italian food, and more close by. All in a beautiful rural setting with lots of free parking. SatNav BL0 9AJ This Sunday 9.30am to 3pm
- Richard Dean: Indoor Paintball at Manchester Paintball Arena
- Sharon Kearns: The play expo at event city
For more information about what’s on in Manchester go to www.visitmanchester.com