Here’s our guide to the best of what’s on in and around Manchester this weekend plus some bonus suggestions from our social media friends.
- The World Black Pudding Throwing Championships will be taking place in Ramsbottom. This annual competition, which dates back to the 1980s, see’s Black Puddings hurtled at a pile of Yorkshire Puddings on a 20ft high plinth. Expect a lively, fun atmosphere and hundreds of puddings.
- Several of the north-west’s best artisans will come together to create a traditional open-air shopping experience at The Summer Festival of Markets. Savour the best pies, breads and cakes whilst browsing unique handmade soaps, ceramics and home wares.
- Cornerhouse presents two major new exhibitions. Manchester-based artist Qasim Riza Shaheen’s Autoportraits in love-like conditions features commissions produced over a 12-month period spent in Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong. Filmmaker and writer Sophia Al-Maria presents a newly commissioned body of work for her first major exhibition, Virgin with a Memory.
Here’s what our Twitter followers recommend:
- @TheMightyBoomer: as nfl season has just started, fancy @MancsMayhem open training on sunday. Non-contact, fun and no prev experience necessary
- @BlueManCTiD: go to the football museum
- @annienewsham: The fantastic @MarketHouseAlty officially opens this weekend. Gorgeous food, wine, craft beer, music in a beaut old building.
- @LadyLoves2Shop: ladies shopping night tonight @FlixtonGC1893 #urmston #Manchester from 7.30pm.
- @CastlefieldGall: Martin Hamblen’s 10 day Launch Pad exhibition exploring maps & borders http://ow.ly/BpIdI ENDS Sunday
- @Paper_Gallery_: Consider the connection between Drawing & Memory. Last day of UNSTABLE GROUND on Saturday. 🙂 http://www.paper-gallery.co.uk/70879/3819170/paper-artists/unstable-ground
- @ciaronjohn: http://youtu.be/znLPAleeyz4
- @Quaytickets: Pandora’s Box @The_Lowry http://bit.ly/1lZabTE
- @JobsworthUK: If there’s one place you should visit it is @ManCathedral – superb place. The newly-refurbished Central Library is also great.
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Chris Moore: Visit Museum of Science and Industry,take a mosey in Affleck’s Palace, Walk on the canal behind the Hacienda, visit Imperial War Museum and whilst there admire ‘The Theatre of Dreams’, have a coffee in the Royal Xchange building and gaze at the ceiling
- Carl Petch: Visit the dogs home and show support and donate #mcrdogshome
- Gill Shelmerdine: The Lowry outlet are holding their monthly ‘waterside food and craft market’ this weekend
- Jennifer Hollamby: Heritage Open Days. Hundreds of beautiful old buildings across Greater Manchester opening their doors and holding events.
- Andrew Gent: World black pudding competition, in Ramsbottom this Sunday open to everyone
- Coyote Sports: Head over to Beast Rampz who are having a BMX Jam from 4-11pm this Saturday.