Here’s our guide to the best of what’s on in and around Manchester this weekend plus some bonus suggestions from our social media friends.
- The British Transplant Games are taking place in Bolton throughout the weekend. Around 800 athletes of all ages who have benefited from organ transplants will be competing in events including archery, swimming and volleyball. If you’re feeling active then join in the Donor Run on Saturday at Leverhulme Park.
- An annual family focused festival takes place at the lovely New Islington Marina and Cotton Field Park on Sunday. Ancoats Canal Festival features canoes, face painting, circus activities and more. All activities are free and refreshments will be available courtesy of the ice cream van and BBQ.
- One of the most famous rappers on the planet today, Snoop Dogg will be spinning records past and present this Sunday at the intimate Albert Hall. Don’t miss this rare chance to see the icon dropping hot tunes on the decks. Back up will come in the form of UK grime hero Tempa T and MC Shakespear.
Here’s what our Twitter followers recommend:
- @lornakellett: Definitely the free Disney day at @Spinningfields on Sat! Toy Story, prizes, face painting… http://tinyurl.com/pgh26v9
- @Susanwarren24: Around the world in eighty days @rxtheatre with lunch in the round @baxter_storey
- @Clara_doc: Have an Elizabeth Gaskell weekend …Cotton /Victorian buildings in City Centre then out to Knutsford for tea & cakes
- @5_free_hours: Would have to be, catch the last couple of days @digthecitymcr and, if weather holds, catch family film club @Spinningfields too
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Ian Speakman: I still want people to go to droylsden it’s beautiful.
- Clare Bear: Test town in wythenshawe town centre. 5 young entrepreneurs have been given space to try their hand st running their own business!
- Andrew-Peter Marlow: Visit the refurbished Central Library
- Chris Oliver Visit the Lowry and Salford Quays
- Gaz Dowd: Have a spot of afternoon tea at Sugar Junction or The Richmond Tea Rooms.
- Damian Heavey: Salvis cucina
- Nancy Hopkins: Loads of free, family friendly activities at MOSI including building a robot that can draw http://mosi.org.uk/whats-on/doodlebots.aspx
- Helen Stewart: Ramsbottom Artisan Market, 9.30am to 2.30pm this Sunday 10th. SatNav BL0 9AJ. 45+ stalls of local and organic produce
- Gemma Marie Finkill: Cbeebies exhibition at the Lowry.
- Manda Panda Clarke: The Coronation Street tour, and Warhorse at The Lowry, we went to both last week, it was fantastic
- Mia Howells: Go and watch Footloose at the Palace Theatre it’s amazing!
- The Yoga Rooms: We have lots of drop-in yoga classes this weekend in Chorlton to help people get fit, flexible and de-stress! http://www.theyogarooms.co.uk/classes
- Helen Kelly: Family open air film club tomorrow out Spinningfields .With face painting and a variety of fun activities for children .then 10:15 am Toy Story .what a lovely day that will be for any family and thrown in for free fresh air!!
*Did you know you can buy discounted tickets for the following regional attractions from our Visitor Information Centre: Legoland, Sealife Centre, MCFC Tour, Tatton Park, Chester Zoo and Alton Towers. All tickets are cheaper than on the gate and the big advantage is that they are fast track tickets so there is no waiting in a long queue. Ask in store for details.