Here’s our guide to the best of what to do in and around our region this weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our social media friends.
- Fancy a uniquely Mancunian shopping experience? Take a trip to the quirky world of Afflecks, located in the city’s bohemian Northern Quarter. With over 70 individual traders over four floors, Afflecks caters for a mix of alternative, vintage and ‘just a little bit different’ tastes. You won’t leave empty-handed.
- If you love the outdoors and really want to enjoy your mountain bike without travelling miles out of the city, check out the Clayton Vale MTB Trails and Skills Zone. The trails are for riders of all levels of ability and if you’re not too sure what you are capable of, you can have a play on the skills area that features a lovely pump track followed by lots of technical trail features ranging from easy to difficult, so you can test your skills before hitting the trail.
- On Sunday the heart of city will be transformed by a rainbow of colour as the Manchester Day Parade sweeps through the streets, celebrating everything that’s great about the city. This year’s parade theme – Going Global – brings an international flavour to the celebrations, with exotic flowers dancing to the beat of the Rio carnival, a pageant of Italian banner bearers and much more. Manchester’s best street food traders will also be selling their wares from 12 noon to 6pm in Albert Square, St Ann’s Square and Exchange Square.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @lisamarieke:Come and play #HookedOnMusic @voiceofmosi http://www.mosi.org.uk/whats-on/pi-platform-for-investigation/hookedonmusic.aspx
- @ShopMCR: With all of the summer sales launching a trip to the shops is a must!
- @ManCathedral: Come along to @ManCathedral! Entry is free, there is a coffee concert at 11am, and lots of things to see!
- @VisitSalford: Got to be #BridgewaterWeekender! Flotilla, picnics, music, arts & crafts and celebration of @SalfordCanal http://ow.ly/ydfgZ
- @MCRMarriottVA: @ITVFeverPitch at @OldGranadaMCR for the football, then #ManchesterDay on Sunday! (our bar is open too!) #Manchester #weekend
- @GioKinky7: @McrMusicTours always a must. Craig is a gent and the tours are bang on brilliant if you love Manc Music!!
- @BadManMedia: Our charity event raising money for @MacmillanMANC is this Sunday at @BrewDogMancs pic.twitter.com/6yIPGwtNpb
- @SolitaNQ: #upinyourgrill @beatstreetmcr
- @BillCookeIII: Billy Liar at the @rxtheatre Royal Exchange Theatre
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Jack Clegg: Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI)
- Stephen Bez Beswick: Manc Floyd at The Globe in Glossop on Saturday night!
- Natalie Ireland: Go to MOSI and play Hooked On Music, the new citizen science experiment. Shows and events all Saturday for Pi: Platform for Investigation
- Vickie Brookes: Heaton Park in the sunshine x
- Mark O’Shea: Old Trafford stadium and museum tour
- Shaheen Ali: Coronation St Tour.
- Kim Hutson: Ordsall Hall is open on Sunday 1-4, the roses and lavender are out in the garden. It’s beautiful and smells divine! There’s also a tour at 2pm for £2
- Lisa Goddard: Afternoon tea at the Double Tree Hilton and Manchester Day Parade on Sunday.
- Emma Finch: Free photography exhibition at the Old Parsonage in Didsbury. Runs 21 til 29 June. Local photographers from south Manchester camera club…should be really good!
- Hussain Nadeem: 21,22 June mega mela at platfield park
- Sue Elliot Palmer: It has to be Selfridges for me! XX
- Justine Wood: Imperial War Museum is ace. Deansgate for restaurant’s & bars. Printworks is pretty cool with lots of chillin bars & restaurants. Wish I was back in blighty. Looking forward to December when I’m back home from NZ
- Jocelyn Coleman: The lovely bars along Deansgate and then for a great atmosphere and curry at Akbars ! X
- Michelle Sowerby Robinson: It’s the Levenshulme Food Festival today from 3-8pm x
- Kaz Mcvey: Spinningfields in one of there gorgeous restaurants alfresco in warm weather and watch parade sunday finish off on deansgate with cocktails at la tasca or Las iguanas
- Ruth Eagle: A drink on Canal Street. Great atmosphere
- Helen Stewart: Prestwich Artisan Market for the best cut price fashion by far and local and organic produce, crafts, great coffee and CAKE! M25 1AY. Sunday 9.30am to 2.30pm Longfield Shopping Centre. Loads of free parking.
- Nancy Hopkins: I second Natalie Ireland….pop along to our fabulous free Platform for Investigation event on Saturday 10.30- 3.30pm. Be part of the largest ever experiment into musical memory and test your musical memory knowledge. Be warned – it’s seriously addictive. http://mosi.org.uk/…/pi-platform-for…/hookedonmusic.aspx
- Anna Lysik: Afternoon tea at richmond tea rooms
- Edie O’hara Designs: Fresh fruit, flowers, street food & summer fashions @ Piccadilly Gardens on Saturday