Here’s our guide to the best of what’s on in and around Manchester this bank holiday weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our social media friends.
- The Spring Festival of Markets kicks off this weekend in St Ann’s Square with the Vintage and Fashion Market. Running alongside the market you’ll find a vintage tea-garden and Pavement café-bar where you can enjoy a range of tasty refreshments and then head to the Orangery, a conservatory-style marquee featuring specialist events, from vinyl and book fairs, to collectables, curios and antiques.
- Science fans can journey inside the largest scientific experiment ever constructed at the Museum of Science & Industry (MOSI)’s new Collider exhibition. Buried deep under the border between Switzerland and France, CERN’s Large Hadron Collider is the work of 10,000 men and women from across the globe, united in their quest to uncover the fundamental building blocks of our universe. This immersive exhibition blends theatre, video and sound art with real artefacts from CERN, recreating a visit to the famous particle physics laboratory.
- The East Lancashire Railway’s award-winning 1940s weekend returns, so get your glad rags on and join the fun as they celebrate a bygone era of glamour and style with singing, dancing, live music, vehicle displays and much more. Highlights include a display of a replica WW2 Spitfire and a 1940s Proms Concert in Ramsbottom on Monday.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @didsburytheatre: @_makersmarket in West Didsbury on Sunday. #shoplocal
- @BuryArtMuseum: Bury Art museum & Sculpture Centre’s Text Festival shows diverse international artists pushing the boundaries of art and text!
- @familyonabike: Check out Salford Quays for a fun creative, learning break > http://familyadventureproject.org/2014/05/things-to-do-in-salford-quays-on-a-budget/
- @naomijane1234: iwmn and media city 🙂
- @revealmcr: Sat 24 guided tour of ‘Valette’s Manchester’, the city as painted by a French Impressionist. Meet Town Hall steps Alb Sq 2pm £7
- @HLCupcake: Pop in for a cheeky bank holiday weekend treat at Hey Little Cupcake in @Spinningfields!
- @ryangrum81: Visit @ChgstoreUk in Eccles if they are keen golfers!! #bestintown
- @BadManMedia: #FridayFoodFight – the closing party this evening pic.twitter.com/PCTCaSA1cT
- @lsutherland: Go & see the new exhibition @PHMMcr it opens tomorrow!
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Chris Alfie Burrows: Good beer, top jukebox, great people…. Without doubt visit Corbierres!!!!
- Kaz Mcvey: Get to Spinningfields for a lovely lunch at Alchemist and cocktails at Rev de Cuba spend an hour or 2 at the revamped library
- Rosetta Ceesay: Coffee For Craig at The Frog & Bucket in Manchester https://www.facebook.com/events/383106235164589/?fref=ts
- Sarah McNally: The Lowry food festival
- Niamh Lewis: Richmond tea rooms and a massive slab of cake
- Joanne Wissett indulge in an amazing hanging kebab at the Oast House!
- Andrew Glester: Collider at MOSI.
- Val Robus: I’m visiting this weekend and going to the Imperial War Museum and The Lowry. Looking forward to the food festival
- Laura Quinn: Atlas bar deansgate x
- Mike Edge: Try out The Splendid Sausage Company on John Dalton Street. Huge hotdogs with real British sausages piled high with allsorts of toppings.
- Luke Gallagher: Tour around the Etihad stadium
- Julie Szlifirska-Davies: Godzilla at the Imax!
- Paul Gouldman: Best daytime for food Artisan. Top night time Black Dog Ballroom.
- Rachel Walker: Take part in the Manchester to Liverpool Bike Ride on Sunday for the NSPCC. Registration opens at 8am – 10am at the Salford Watersports Centre at Salford Quays. Or register online at http://www.nspcc.org.uk
- Mara Fyz: Community Fun Day at The Factory Youth Zone in North Manchester. Just 50p and there are lots of activities for families – bouncy castles, plant sale, jumble sale, face painting, henna, mocktails, sports and home cooked food for between £2-£3!
- Christine Fox: Coronation Street: The Tour ~ A must for fans of the show ~ last chance to see the original set!