Here’s our guide to the best of what’s on in Manchester this weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our helpful social media pals.
- Sports fans are in for real treat this weekend as Manchester hosts the Great City Games, right in the heart of the city centre. This is a unique opportunity to see top world and Olympic athletes compete in an urban environment. Taking place on Saturday and Sunday, the games include pole vault, long jump, sprint and hurdles events.
- Fashionistas should head to Stockport on Saturday for the Making Headway free catwalk show featuring a collection of hats created for Hat Works Museum by 13 of the UK’s best up and coming milliners. The collections will be shown against the spectacular backdrop of St Mary’s church and an installation created by students from Manchester School of Architecture.
- Visit the beautiful Royal Exchange theatre to see its latest production The Last Days of Troy by poet and novelist Simon Armitage, starring a stellar cast including supermodel turned actress Lily Cole as Helen of Troy.
P.S. Good luck to everyone taking part in the Manchester 10k run on Sunday. Those who can’t make it down to cheer on the crowds can watch the action live on the BBC.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @CastlefieldGall: #SnailPorridge exhibition curated by @BobandRoberta Smith at @CastlefieldGall is definitely worth a visit http://ow.ly/wUMgU
- @Phones4uArena: Prince & @3RDEYEGIRL are playing here and there are a few tickets left for Saturday night’s show: http://ow.ly/wUJT5
- @IgersMCR: We have an Instagram meet up and instawalk as part of @instagram world wide instameet weekend. (Sun @ 13:00)
- @VisitSalford: A stop off @GreengateSquare is a must this Saturday for some amazing street food from @Guerrilla_Eats http://ow.ly/wUFpN
- @MCRMarriottVA: Come and join us at our #BBQ after the #GreatManchesterRun on Sunday. The weather looks set to be a scorcher!
- @Jono94Taylor: Attend Magic Weekend to watch 14 rugby league teams play across one weekend at the Etihad Stadium #magicweekend @TheRFL
- @ajdownes22: The place to be this evening is @TheLawnClub, to watch @LancsCCC in the @NatWestT20Blast on the outdoor cinema! @ 18:30
- @RebeccaShivji: They should visit the amazing @BaliHL for a massage followed by a delicious herbal tea! #relax
- @SMBC_Museums: #MakingHeadway Stockport will be THE event of the weekend. http://bit.ly/QPaFga pic.twitter.com/bQn22Zdizx
- @RebeccaCMcD: @levymarket is on tomorrow! Definitely worth a shout out 🙂
- @carryonlearning: Blues guitar maestro Robert Cray of the @RobertCrayBand will be playing at @BridgewaterHall tonight.
- @naomijane1234: imperial war museum north and media city 🙂
- @MissHLCupcake: Hey Little Cupcake in @Spinningfields for a cheeky weekend cupcake or ice cream! @HLCupcake
- @johnshinnphoto: Bus Stop Stories photographic exhibition at the John Rylands Library- just battle past the running track to get there 🙂
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Martyn Morgan: Walk from the marina in Stretford along the tow path to a number of pubs along the way but end with a pub lunch at the Axe & Cleaver in Dunham. A fantastic walk as you get to see things you didn’t know were there and things you did but from an all new angle.
- Lisa Goddard: Definitely a walk round Castlefield and a lovely spot of al fresco dining at one of the eateries near there. The Wharf or Dukes 92.
- Anna Condar: The Slow Readers Club at The Roadhouse on Saturday. A bargainous fiver!!
- Kaz Mcvey: Spinningfields outside Oast House lunch in Manchester House and trip to war museum media city free and interesitng
- Lynette Heywood: Lowry, media city !
- Tom L Dockleaf: Check out the arts and crafts centre
- Diane Hughes: Vegan fair Chorlton Saturday 11-5 then the Chorlton Street market. First 100 at the Vegan Fair get a free goodie bag. Lots of great food and drink to sample and buy and great products!