Here’s our selection of the best of what’s on in and around Manchester over this long Easter weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our social media pals.
- The ever-popular Manchester Duck Race returns on Good Friday for the fifth year, packed with a whole host of activity to entertain the thousands of spectators expected to watch the rubber ducks race along the Spinningfields stretch of the River Irwell.
- On Saturday Bolton town centre transforms into an Easter egg-stravaganza. Join the Easter egg hunt, starting at Bolton Market, for a chance to win a giant 15kg Slattery’s Chocolate Egg. Animal lovers can also meet Dr Zoolittle and his fabulous creatures, including Easter chicks, bunny rabbits, meerkats, snakes and hissing cockroaches. If that wasn’t enough, Shaun the Sheep will be making an appearance and visitors can take a trip on the Easter ‘Eggspress’ Train with the Easter bunny and Eggwina the chick.
- Take a trip to MOSI to see the Wellcome Image Awards 2014 exhibition which celebrates the best in science imaging talent, from detailed microscopy and clinical photography to illustration. From an x-ray bat to a kidney stone, a head louse egg to a cross section of a flower bud, the exhibition gives an up-close-and-personal view of humans, animals, plants and the environment.
Here’s what our Twitter followers recommend:
- @ParisAngelsuk: Our gourmet paradise BITE returns this Sat to @OldGranadaMCR 11-5 Free Entry! Water St Entrance! pic.twitter.com/qlq1fGmPSw
- @SaturnSnipin: Old Trafford stadium and Manchester United’s Megastore!
- @objectsinmind: Visit @McrMuseum and take a selfie with Stan the T-rex 🙂 @VisitMM #museumselfie
- @KCornelly: kids can join in Easter Egg hunts this weekend at #Lyme Park in Stockport and #Dunham Massey park in Altrincham – yummy!!
- @revealmcr: Guided walk ‘Spinningfields Campfield Castlefield’ Sat 19 April 2pm £7/£6. Meet Manchester Town Hall steps Albert Square.
- @LoveBeerFest: The Beer House Project @dulcimerbar starts today from 4pm for 5 days #Chorlton #Manchester pic.twitter.com/rqLNvU5Six
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Alex McCann: Altrincham has lots on – Altrincham FC Beer Festival
– 19th-21st there’s a beer festival at the football ground (inc a darts competiton on the Sunday Night)
– Record Store Day – Both Beatnik Records and Soda (Grafton Mall) are having #RSD14 events. The former has the fantastic Gramotones and the latter as Liam McClair (yes, MUFC fans Brian McClair’s son) and 9 other acts include Lizzie Brankin
- Louise Mason: A visit to Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet! Lots of Easter activities, free benefit makeovers and lots of bargains! x
- Dee Fitzsimmons: Manchester fashion week!!! Starts Friday through to Sunday at St Peters Halle, Ancoats. Lots of fashion designers and celebs going!
- Gemma Tierney: Manchester Museum is brilliant for big and small kids ( big dinosaurs) and is free. Museum of science and industry is also free and really good. Some of my friends have been to the football museum as well. All easy to get to in the city centre.
- Stacey Knowles: Awesome gig on the 19th at Academy 3! ….featuring mancs finest unsigned talent…Matt Fryers, The Reveurs, Puppet Rebellion and Berlin Berlin.
- Koren Ashleigh: Hacienda at sankys!!
- Sarah Wilson: Hop into Hey Little Cupcake for an Easter cupcake treat!
- Christopher Hamilton: Afflecks Palace for alternative shops.
- Jackie Wollaston: For lunch… Thomas’s Chop House! Best ever English grub, plus it’s a listed building inside & out so has lots of original features. If it’s nice weather you can sit out at the back!
- Aneesa Neelam: Pop into the V&A for Easter Sunday Roast Lunch between 12 and 4! You get an easter egg with each booking.