Here’s our weekly guide to the best of what’s on in and around Manchester this weekend, plus some handy suggestions from our social media friends.
- The annual taste extravaganza that is Ramsbottom Chocolate Festival returns this weekend packed with tasty treats. Don’t miss the Chocolate Themed Market on Saturday packed with stalls featuring chocolate, cakes, gifts, chocolate themed soaps, and much more. Cafes, restaurants and shops throughout the town will have chocolate specials on their menus and you can try chocolate beer at Irwell Works Brewery.
- Manchester Museum’s new exhibition From the War of Nature opens today showcasing how living things resolve conflict in many, often unexpected, ways and aims to challenge the perception that war is an inevitable outcome of conflict. Boxing hares, burrowing parasites, baby birds and prowling wolves are just some of the characters appearing in this story of predation, competition, co-operation and collaboration.
- Green fingered visitors should check out the Lowry Outlet Garden Party which celebrates outdoor living, gardens, plants, flowers and lots more, all in the (hopefully) sunny waterside setting. There will also be free family activities, live music and the opportunity to sample the finest regional food and drink on sale at an 80-stall Artisan Market.
Here’s what our Twitter fans recommend:
- @_urbanmarket: @OldGranadaMCR is where it’s at this weekend! Free entry to amazing stalls of Art, Design, Craft and Food! 11-5 #ogs #corrietour
- @thisiscanopy: Balloon levitation flashmob in StAnnes Sq this sunday 1pm to promote our #feastofthefarewells theatre wkend!
- @ChocFestival: Come to #chocfest14 of course! 😉
- @historynvintage: love the Costume Museum & Manchester Museum – both free. And bumbling around Northern Quarter. Vintage & indie shops/bars agogo.
- @Lockstitchmeld: @levymarket launches its first food market this weekend… Delicious local produce and only a 5 min jaunt on the train from town!
- @JenniferDean_83: Pop along to the @CastlefieldGall Open Day http://ow.ly/vFKAJ Chat 2 staff & take a look at the stunning work by Iain Andrews
- @MLGConline: Find the big duck pic.twitter.com/Z27rlK9BtZ
- @moslonian: Visit @FootballMuseum and grab some lunch @SoLiTaNq then head to @manarndale do some shopping before drinks @Cloud23Bar #MCR
- @z_mcr: Tonight 8pm FEW Collective are here doing a FREE gig. Hip-hop, world music, Dj’s and break dancing. Info: http://bit.ly/1dmzZ7V
- @sda27: Go to watch @thundernetball with @kjgreigy & @gina_shoes Saturday night!
- @jensmith2512 : Go to the markets @OldGranadaMCR studios – Great atmosphere, great stalls @streetcarsmcr: @FFF has to go on there, sample #delicious #honest #food from some of MCR’s frontline foodies in a great hidden gem of building
- @AndrewCTempest: lowry outlet mall garden party Salford quays
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Kaz Mcvey: beef and pudding for the ‘beetham tower ‘ burger and a trip to the new library
- Allen Caldwell: Visit the Mark Addy for some real ale and a view of the river Irwell too
- Michelle Chapples: Trafford centre Lego land for me and a meal to follow
- Alistaire Muir: Breakfast @ Neighbourhood, followed by a trip to the national football museum and then lunch at beef n pudding, take in a show at the opera house ending with dinner @ Alberts Didsbury
- Suzanne Hall: Head down to the quays at Salford for the garden party at media city. Go on the tram so you don’t have to drive. Then if the suns shining have dinner in one of the fab restaurants sit outside and people watch,that’s what I will be doing.
- Melissa Mac: Friday Food Fight!!
- Elizabeth Sibbering: The Sightseeing Bus Tours start again on Sat 12 April – 10:30 and 13:30 http://www.manchesterbustours.co.uk
- Jennie Armstrong: The Urban Market @ The Old Granada Studios!!
- Castlefield Gallery: Come along to Castlefield Gallery for our open day. Pop in for a brew and biscuit, chat to gallery staff and take a look around Iain Andrews stunning exhibition. Plus from 2-3:30pm join us for an In-conversation event with Iain Andrews and writer, artists and (retired) art therapist David Maclagan. Open 10am-6pm FREE
- Audrey Palmer: Attend the Union J doll signing at Hamleys followed by lunch at Nandos then watch Rio 2 at Odeon Cinema (with some shopping I between of course)!! A nights stay in Premier Inn (either of them at Trafford centre). The next day Paradise Island Adventure Golf, lunch at TGIs then more and more shopping !!! X
- Jean Scriven: It’s Glossop Local Produce Market THIS SATURDAY!! Lots of opportunities to pick up Easter goodies from all your regular traders plus there will be some new stalls for you to browse.
- June Vickers: Manchester museum I love manchester
- Melanie Fleur: The fabulous 90s/grunge night Rusty Cage at Retro Bar tonight.
- Andrew Gent: Chocolate festival ramsbottom x
- Mcdc: Manchester Craft Shopping, lunching and FREE crafty activities http://www.craftanddesign.com/events/easter-half-term/
- Ladybarn Community Centre: Easter Family Fun Day Saturday 12th April 1-4pm. There will be lots of activities on the day
- Great British Trips: try celebrating Easter with the PassionArt trail? http://www.passionarttrail.co.uk