Here’s our weekly guide to the best of what’s on in and around Manchester this weekend, plus some great bonus suggestions from our social media friends.
- On Saturday IWM North launches its first major exhibition to mark 100 years since the outbreak of the First World War. From Street to Trench: A World War that Shaped a Region reveals more than 200 personal objects, films, sound recordings, photographs, artworks and letters, including many on public display for the first time.
- The extremely popular Cake & Bake Show returns to Manchester Central this weekend packed with artisan bakers, chocolatiers and cake makers displaying their wares. Visitors can watch celebrity bakers live in action, try their hands at cake decorating, sample tasty treats, shop for all the best kit, and learn new skills in the classrooms.
- Greater Manchester Marathon gets under starter’s orders on Sunday at Manchester United Football Club, Old Trafford. Thousands of runners will take to the streets of Trafford in what is the flattest marathon course in the UK with only 54m of elevation. Join the mass of spectators and entertainers along the route to cheer on the competitors.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @planetvintage: Checking out the @OldGranadaMCR market this weekend!
- @mancsean: Visit red bbq take a walk around town then hit the night spots with me 😉
- @MAGsaveslives: Come along to the Minefield Experience at M3 3EB today & have a go at ‘landmine’ detection. All welcome! pic.twitter.com/tudywDoi3w
- @mcr_central: We’ve got @CakeandBakeShow here all weekend. The treats available are unmissable!
- @SurplusTR: For evening, dinner and drinks at Artisan in Spinningfields. That’s where the #SurplusTR boys hang out!
- @createatsalford: Check out @SonicFusionFest. Haunting concert inspired by near death experiences on tomorrow! http://www.salford.ac.uk/sonicfusionfestival #SSFF14
- @Davipops: East Lancaster railway and a stroll up Holcomb Hill (pint in the Irwell works mandatory) :0) @eastlancsrly @IrwellWorksAle
- @WorldClassWCS: Definitely @MCRTaxiTours with John Consterdine, I never realised just how wonderful the city is and our major role in history!!
- @M_Castelletti: Benjamin Clementine tonight @RNCMvoice http://www.rncm.ac.uk/performance/live-nation-presents-benjamin-clementine
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Jonathan Hewitt: Little Fun Fest at Red House Farm this weekend – the world of cbeebies and fun heads to the farm in Dunham Massey near Altrincham
- Alanna Corbett: Legoland Discovery Centre!!!
- Luke Gallagher: Watching an unsigned band in the Academy or Manchester venue
- Ray-Mond Lee: B.EAT STREET MCR tonight
- Emma M Millward: MOSI or Legoland if you have kids & the weather’s not good
- Jayne Moontree Whiteley: Mind and Body fair at Gorton Monastery. On all weekend
- Kate Unsworth: Coronation Street The Tour opens Saturday!
- Paul Bayliss: Try and get a bite to eat at the new restaurant Beef and Pudding. Their Beef ham tower burger looks quality.
- Michael Royle: Greater Manchester Marathon in Trafford on Sunday. Us runners need as much support as possible.
- Amandine Gresil: Castlefield market on Sunday
- John Consterdine: How about an award winning taxi tour ?
- Jack Morris: Academy concert. Also, new WW1 stuff at IWM North
- Lynne McManus: The cloud 23 bar. But maybe choose a clear day. Fantastic views.