Here’s are top tips for the best of what’s on in and around Manchester this weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our social media pals.
- Manchester Central plays host to The Bike and Triathlon Show this weekend, which sees the huge city centre venue packed with all the latest innovations to keep adrenaline junkies entertained for hours. Look out for the StreetVelodrome challenge, Zoggs SwimZone and the Kids Zone – where visitors aged 2-14 will be able to test ride the latest Frog bikes, plus there’s plenty of opportunities to test your skills on all the latest kit.
- Film fans would be crazy to miss ¡Viva! 20th Spanish and Latin American Film Festival which kicks off at Cornerhouse today. This annual celebration of Hispanic film features a handpicked selection of new filmmaking from across Spain and Spanish-speaking Latin America including Argentina, Mexico, Ecuador, Cuba and Peru.
- It’s the opening weekend of Northern Exposure 2014 annual photography exhibition at the beautiful Portico Library, designed to showcase the skills of photographers based in the North of England. This show brings together the work of eight photographers with their own distinctive style, interests and specialities, and features an exciting blend of subjects including portraiture, fashion, art photography, music and travel.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @librarytheatre: Why not check out some Chekhov? Catch our last ever performance as the Library Theatre http://bit.ly/1dJ4Af0 #TheSeagull
- @MissLauraFell: #FridayFoodFight @beatstreetmcr @CastlefieldMrkt is a MUST MUST MUST!!
- @CornerhouseMcr: #VivaFest2014 kicks off today. So why not treat yourself to some Spanish & Latin American cinema http://bit.ly/1dHpWDP
- @jennyrobo: Shopping at the Arndale then meal at Australasia (if they can get in) maybe some cocktails at the alchemist
- @ForsythMusic: Why not come and play our grand pianos? If you are musical you’ll love our historic music department store on Deansgate!
- @Jessso_D: If the sun is shining have a drink at @wharfpub. If it rains see a movie at @CornerhouseMcr
- @Anna123Tufty: Visiting the newly refurbished central library. Opens at 9.00 tomorrow
- @MCRremovals: The @bikeandtri is a must this weekend for any budding cyclist! #manchester
- @shortstorylady: International women’s day exhibition at the John Rylands library this weekend. #IWD2014 @TheJohnRylands
- @JudeSnelly: Dukes 92 in the sunshine, ride on the Wheel, dinner at Sams chop House the wonderful vibrant friendly Northern Quarter. Perfect!
- @Zoe2908: I suggest chillfactore, and maybe then the Mcr Wheel followed by meal at @anniesMCR.
- @rigmorole: Barry Humphries at the Opera House Saturday if there are still any seats left!
- @BBuddhaBeauty: we have a free hand and arm massage day today and Saturday. Just call to our beech road shop and enjoy. It’s that simple x
- @mikeajt: Make sure you have a ticket for BBC Phil @ the Bridgewater Hall on Saturday evening
- @z_mcr: This Saturday is the FINAL EVER chance to see Pinocchio, the acclaimed fairy-tale set in Moss Side http://bit.ly/1f5202C
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Dan Justaxi: If the weather is looking miserable we would recommend Manchester Art Gallery this exhibition is fantastic http://www.manchestergalleriestimemachine.org/
- Carlie Power: Definitely visit MOSI and its Air And Space gallery, best museum ever!! My Dad took me as a child and i now take my 6 year old!! The Football Museum is great too and The Manchester Museum. If they want alternative shopping Affleck’s Palace is a must!!
- TraceyandNick Russell: Indoor sky diving at Trafford Park
- Mishy RyRyan: Afternoon tea at the Richmond Tea Rooms
- Catherine Joyce Kirk: Can we stretch to Salford, The Lowry is a must, theatres, exhibitions, coffee shops and eating places and shops too.
- Sarah Boote International women’s day activities, viva film festival at corner house
- Magdalena Hannah: National football museum for women’s day tomorrow!
- Matt Stride: Jack whitehall at the phones4u arena, that’s where I’ll be!
- Kate Hesketh: Laugh Local comedy night at Chorlton Irish Club tonight. Great comedians with The fabulous Justin X Moorhouse
- Castlefield Gallery: The new exhibition at Castlefield Gallery is a must see! Stunning paintings, drawings and sculptures by Manchester based artist Iain Andrews http://www.castlefieldgallery.co.uk/…/re-view-iain…/
- Vicky Rock: Go shopping round the Northern Quarter and then go to Sugar Junction for some yummy food, coffee and cake.
- Jean Scriven: According to the weather forecast Spring is positively springing this Saturday, 8 March, and so it seems the perfect opportunity to come and browse the lovely stalls at Glossop Local Produce Market.
- Lauren Rothwell: Window shopping in the designer shops in Spinningfields followed by sweet treats at Hey Little Cupcake & cocktails at Alchemist mmmmmm