Here’s our guide to the best of what’s happening in and around Manchester this weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our social media friends.
- Pay a visit to the beautiful John Rylands Library on Deansgate to see the three new exhibitions on show inside the masterpiece of Victorian Gothic architecture. The exhibitions are Aftermath: 100 years of creativity from conflict, photography exhibition Bus Stop Stories and The Space Between, where artist Anthony McCarthy records the transition and re-development of the Chapel Street area of Salford.
- Beer and baking take centre stage at this year’s Wigan Food and Drink Festival which kicks off this weekend with the 27th Wigan CAMRA Beer Festival, offering 60 real ales, 35 real ciders and perries and a great selection of foreign draft beers, plus live music and food. There will also be a host of activities taking place in Wigan town centre, including baking and bread-making classes.
- Theatre goers should head over to The Lowry to see Chekhov’s The Seagull, the final production from The Library Theatre Company before it merges with Cornerhouse to become HOME. This vibrant and critically acclaimed new version by Anya Reiss re-imagines the play in the 21st century, while retaining all of the original’s drama and comedy.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @johnshinnphoto: Try the Bus Stop Stories photo exhibition @TheJohnRylands An exhibition and great cakes and scones 🙂 http://www.redeye.org.uk/exhibition/bus-stop-stories
- @fathomituk: @Altvtgmarket altricham market Sunday visit @Yogberries visit Dunham brewery.
- @wyldek1tty: Tattoo tea party at event city
- @librarytheatre: #TheSeagull runs until Sat 8 Mar @The_Lowry. Great reviews all round check out the trailer http://bit.ly/1gGQAjs
- @CeliaFarm: @CeliaFarm in #Bolton new opening times and new ,field to fork, inspired menu from Sat 1st March 10-5 Saturday and Sunday
- @AmbachtBlog: Visit the @HMoorMarket on Sunday 🙂
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Louise Bolotin: I’m looking forward to TEDx at the Manchester Academy on Sunday. http://tedx-universityofmanchester.co.uk/
- Lucy Roper: Prestwich beer festival http://www.prestwichbeerfestival.co.uk going to be a top weekend if last nights launch was anything to go by
- Stacey Knowles: Come see http://www.facebook.com/mattfryers live @ The Royal Oak in Chorlton tonight, free entry and an awesome line up of bands and acoustic artists! Great night out! Check out his page for details
- MiKi Christi: Visit the Joana Vasconcelos exhibition at Manchester Art Gallery. Visit Afflecks for shopping. Go to Northern Quarter for cocktails and dinner
- Steve Brown A visit to Mulligans of Deansgate is a must , fantastic Irish theme pub great company too
- Kaz Mcvey: Bar crawl Deansgate and Spinningfields then a bite to eat at Almost Famous
- Jackie Haywood: High school musical at Z arts theatre by MYUK
- Natalie Ireland: Last weekend if steam, sweat & sewers @ MOSI for those still on half term coming into Mcr.
- Hi-Life Diners Club: Have dinner with someone you love, choose from some of Manchester’s best restaurants like Stock Restaurant, Evuna, Choice Bar & Restaurant, Albert’s Shed to name but a few. http://www.hi-life.co.uk
- Cultivate film art: Come down to the only weekly free art-house cinema in Manchester, tucked away in the basement of JOSHUA BROOKS with free rum and pop corn come down watch relax and be entertained.