Here’s our guide to the best of what’s happening in and around Manchester this weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our lovely social media friends.
- Joana Vasconcelos: Time Machine opens tomorrow at Manchester Art Gallery, featuring over 20 of the Portuguese artist’s seductive, subversive large-scale sculptures which fill the gallery’s major exhibition spaces, adorn the exterior of the gallery and permeate the whole gallery building. The exhibition includes new and recent works – most on show in the UK for the first time.
- Had your head turned by all exciting action from the Winter Olympics? Check out the Banff Mountain Film Festival at Stockport Plaza Cinema tomorrow, where you can enjoy an evening of extraordinary short films featuring the expeditions of some of the world’s most intrepid adventurers, incredible footage of adrenaline packed action sports and inspiring, thought-provoking pieces shot from the far flung corners of the globe.
- Treat the little ones with a trip to MOSI (Museum of Science & Industry) where they can experience the sights, sounds and smells of Victorian Manchester at Steam, Sweat & Sewers. Kicking off tomorrow for the half term week, there’s plenty to entertain the most inquisitive of minds, from Weaving Workshops to Goo in the Loo.
Here’s what our Twitter friends suggest:
- @mikeajt: Get a ticket for BBC Phil @ Bridgewater Hall on Saturday evening!
- @MEAcad: visit Wythenshawe, a brilliant community with an amazing Park, vibrant market and some brilliant walks. Lots of real food venues!
- @LawCheryl: Go and see the wonderful @UKBanffFilmFest at the marvellous @StockportPlaza1!
- @DaisiesandPieUK: Stacks of Manchester ideas for kids for the whole week on our blog http://www.daisiesandpie.co.uk/beta/kids/stufftodo/files/FebruaryHalfTerm2014.html#.Uv3NLI0gGc1
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Kayleigh Charnock: Go for afternoon tea & cocktails in cloud 23 / hilton! Amazing view of Manchester x
- Natalie Ireland: Steam, Sweat & Sewers begins at MOSI tomorrow. 16 days of family fun exploring life & hard times in Victorian Manchester; shows, workshops, engine demonstrations, dress up and a Victorian fairground.
- Alistair Beech: Her at the Cornerhouse looks great! A timely, zeitgeist-nudging focus on virtual relationships. #valentinesday
- Julie Szlifirska-Davies: Afternoon Tea at Richmond Tea Rooms
- Ash Turner: Moose coffee behind primark!
- Castlefield Gallery: #TheDrawingProject is our new exhibition – and it’s a stunner. We’re open Wed-Sun 1-6pm plus we have a free talk tomorrow afternoon from 2pm about contemporary drawing http://www.castlefieldgallery.co.uk/ If you love drawing get yourselves down here.
- Clara Lonsdale: Go and see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels at the Opera House! http://www.atgtickets.com/…/dir…/opera-house-manchester/
- Kev Blisse: A trip to the Alternative and Burlesque fair at sound central from 11am on Saturday is a must.
- The Milton Club: For delicious cocktails & friendly service in a stunning venue head to The Milton Club
- Clare Simpson: Comedy Sportz UK Improv group coming to The Edge in Chorlton tomorrow night at 6.30pm. Start your evening with a laugh.