Here’s our guide to the best of what’s on in Manchester this weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our helpful social media friends.
- Celebrate Chinese New Year in style! Manchester is awash with fun activity to welcome in the Year of the Horse, with many retailers and restaurants joining in the festivities. Head to St Ann’s Square to sample tasty offerings from Chinatown’s best restaurants at the Chinese Food Market & Pop-Up Tiger Bar, where you can also enjoy traditional Chinese music and performances. Don’t miss the Dragon Dance and celebrations on Sunday in Albert Square starting at 12.30pm, with a fireworks finale in Chinatown at 6pm.
- On Saturday watch the leading British and international cyclists compete at Revolution Cycling at the National Cycling Centre. Riders to look for in the afternoon and evening sessions include three-time Olympic Gold medalist Jason Kenny, Team Sky duo Peter Kennaugh and Ben Swift, Rapha Condor JLT’s Ed Clancy, along with top women riders Laura Trott, Dani King, Lizzie Armitstead and Becky James.
- This weekend is your last chance to see the Grayson Perry – The Vanity of Small Differences exhibition at Manchester Art Gallery. The Turner Prize-winning artist’s series of six large tapestries, inspired by William Hogarth’s A Rake’s Progress, tell the story of class mobility and the influence social class has on our aesthetic taste.
And here’s what our Twitter followers recommend:
- @librarytheatre: #replay2014 ends this weekend. Still time to catch the highly acclaimed Away From Home tomorrow night http://bit.ly/1b5fWbS
- @Platinum_Rec: Eat @SoLiTaNq Great food Play virtual golf @getmetothegreen good fun Go for drinks @KosmonautMCR amazing atmosphere #Manchester
- @akoustikanarkhy: @PLANKuk are hosting a prog rock night @EagleInnSalford http://akoustikanarkhy.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/this-friday-not-aa-but-sausage-fest.html
- @topdogdays: Cinema buffs in Manchester can take advantage of a 2 for 1 for The Railway Man this weekend http://bit.ly/LvrieP #ideas
- @boheme: castlefield market! And buy one of those awesome pizza base with sauce – thin, crispy and totally italian
- @TheGregling: Cha Cha Boudoir tonight at Sub 101.
- @_drew03: TNA Wrestling tonight at the Phones4U Arena.
- @BusinessPlus1: Afternoon tea at the Midland Hotel http://www.securityconsole.co.uk
- @Utdblotty: Go a see “swim deep” at The Ritz, Sat nite @SWIM_DEEP @ritzmanchester @XfmManchester
- @MrPeepsSays: Lunch at @dogsndough, Cocktails @WalrusMCR, Top food @LiquorAndBurn, Gig @TheRubyLounge Nice and easy pic.twitter.com/SrKMUO9bhY
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Anthony Paige Mathers Go for a tour around Etihad Stadium
- Mark Martin: Manchester Art Gallery. The People’s History Museum. Cup of coffee at Eastern Bloc.
- Chezzie Le Choux: Wedding show in Didsbury this Sunday we will be there!
- Robert Dow: Bury market was brilliant as well as the massive shopping centre… but my favourite was the tram journeys they were fantastic.
- Kevin Wilson: Head for the Cathedral, have a look round and feel peaceful. Then go shopping!
- Reena Mistry: Sunday lunch at NQ Superstore in the Northern Quarter
- Gaynor Edwards: Revolution. De Cuba for cocktails and fab live music!!!!