Planning a trip to Manchester this weekend? Here’s our top 3 ideas for what to get up to plus some bonus suggestions from our social media friends.
- Shake off the January blues at Band on the Wall this Friday with a hilarious romp through the troubled inner-city Manchester childhood of one of Britain’s most notorious and outspoken TV presenters, Terry Christian. Terry bares all in his debut stand-up show, lifting the lid on his upbringing, Madchester, The Word and Celebrity Big Brother in the process – definitely not for the faint hearted!
- Join brilliant scientists and engineers as they bring all sorts of topics to life with fascinating demonstrations and fun hands-on activities at MOSI. Saturday Science explores space without your feet leaving the ground. Learn about the ALMA telescope, see real moon rocks, launch a mini rocket, use an infrared camera to view the world at different wavelengths and watch ‘comet in a bucket’ demonstrations.
- The Annual Indoor Cycle Jumble in the centre of the velodrome at the National Cycling Centre is the largest indoor event of its kind with over 2,000 visitors attending in 2013. The 2014 event this Sunday promises to be even bigger with more stalls selling a variety of old and new bikes and equipment for road, track, BMX, off-road and all other leisure activities.
Here’s what our Twitter followers recommend:
- @phat_cupcake This, it’s the last weekend http://www.manchestergalleries.org/our-other-venues/platt-hall-gallery-of-costume/exhibition-programme/
- @janesmarathon the Earth Cafe is great for vegan food.
- @Operazzi RNCM chamber music festival!
- @CornerhouseMcr why not check out our interactive performance & screening of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? this Sunday http://bit.ly/1hsD0Eq
- @Parsonagetrust Nick Walker exhibition at the beautiful Old Parsonage in Didsbury followed by a walk around our beautiful gardens
- @thelastpenmon A tour of the town hall then a short stroll to The Vine inn for a pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord Ale
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Rachel Unwin: We’re heading down to the Manchester motorcycle show at Manchester Central
- Kate Hesketh: Laugh local tonight at Chorlton Irish Club with Justin Moorhouse as compere. Top night out with a pasty thrown in!
- Louisa Bexon: If weather’s bad go for swim at the aquatics centre!
- Christine Kilby: So much to choose from but at least a drink at Manchester House if not a lovely lunch and take in the great views from the top floor, a visit to the Manchester Art Gallery, watch That Day We Sang at the Royal Exchange or a film at the unique Cornerhouse before it moves to its new home.
- Andrea Lord: Head off the beaten track to Manchester Craft & Design Centre on oak street in the Northern Quarter – housed in a Victorian market hall is home to a select group of artists & craftsmen with a cafe thrown in!
- Aidan Obrien: Science museum – a great family adventure
- Helen Stewert: Ramsbottom Artisan Market. 45+ stalls of local produce, organic veg and meat, home made jams, cakes, artisan breads, hand poured candles, soaps and beauty products, this Sunday
- Fiona Bryant: Trip on metro link to media city and a boat trip on salford quays