Here’s our weekly guide to the best of what’s on across the region this weekend, plus some bonus suggestion from our social media fans.
- Don’t let the rain dampen your festive shopping spirits, head to the Magical Christmas Fair at Manchester Central, where you’ll find hundreds of stands full of products not easily found on the high street all under one roof, along with live music, carols, bands and festive entertainment.
- Bolton’s Winter Wonderland opens tomorrow with a skating performance at 10.30am on the ice rink and Father Christmas will be appearing in his Grotto. Follow the sounds of Christmas music to Santa’s Express Train on Newport Street where Christmas characters will be appearing throughout the day, happy to pose for photos with their little fans.
- On Sunday head to the beautiful John Rylands Library for the first of its Festive Fun events. Sunday’s Winter fun day explores the celebration of winter from different cultures, times and countries through fun activities for all the family. This is a great excuse to explore this masterpiece of Victorian Gothic architecture which looks more like a castle or cathedral.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @CornerhouseMcr: We’ve got a great event for your weekend blog recommendations – tonight’s premiere of #RoughCutMovie http://bit.ly/1b0xRyS
- @SharonatSLBPR: cocktail masterclass @MOJOMANCHESTER
- @tourmanchester: Manchester Music walking tour tomorrow, 11am from the Visitor Centre. £7 / 6 pp. The sun is gonna shine (apparently)
- @librarytheatre: #WantedRobinHood opens @The_Lowry tonight! A bold new action packed adaptation of the classic tale http://bit.ly/Va20jF
- @TheMailingRoom: It’s got to be @footballmuseum
- @AndyPhotoManc: It’s the Christmas lights switch on in #SaleTown – santa’s arriving on a barge 🙂
- @mg_granola: Lovely farmer’s market @HorseJockey on Chorlton Green Saturday 11 to 4
- @slscottartist: Get the metro to #chorlton this wkend & come to @OddestBar see my #manchester themed art exhibition. Pik up some art & a drink!
- @Sadierama: See Grayson Perry tapestries at art gallery, nip for Xmas market hot choc after.
- @MillH10: the brand new #MMCoral exhibition @McrMuseum. A stunning gallery, opening today. A must see!
- @RoseChapell: #sweeneytodd at @rxtheatre . So good we’ve driven 5 hours to see it again. Wouldn’t take kids tho’, it’s no panto! Blood and pies
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Marcus O’Buachalla: Chorlton Love Beer Festival https://www.facebook.com/events/718400631521397/
- Jean Scriven: Glossop Christmas – Holly and Ivy Festival tomorrow!
- Sophie Elisabeth Dervan: Singing in the Rain at the Opera House! Amazing show, closes on Saturday night!!
- Sara Li-Chou Han: Bryony Kimmings show at Contact theatre on Friday and Saturday night – Credible Likeable Superstar. Best alternative to Miley Cyrus and the world of pop music.
- Melanie Fleur: For the alternative types, Rusty Cage grunge night tonight, and Bombardment industrial tomorrow night.
- Richard Mather: 47 king street west one if the finest restaurants in town
- Shelly Harvey: White Christmas mansion & gift & craft fair at Tatton Park http://www.tattonpark.org.uk/…/a_white_christmas
- Castlefield Gallery: Check out the brand new exhibition ‘Radical Conservatism’ at Castlefield Gallery plus join the curators Pil and Galia Kollectiv for an informative tour of the show from 2-3pm (FREE) http://www.castlefieldgallery.co.uk/
- Carole Ashfield: Take in the gorgeous view from the Hilton hotel bar Cloud 23
- Helen Stewart: Come and checkout Prestwich Artisan Market, the Longfield Shopping Centre https://www.facebook.com/events/450771071695245