Here’s our guide to the best of what’s on in Manchester this weekend, plus some great suggestions from our lovely social media pals.
- Not feeling very festive yet? Take a trip to Tatton Park’s Mansion which opens on Saturday having been transformed into a White Christmas wonderland. The grand staterooms have been dressed with flowers, foliage and greenery from the gardens and parkland to reflect snowy landscapes. Walking through the mansion you can enjoy live classical music, along with decoration and baking demonstrations in the kitchens.
- Head to Manchester Craft & Design Centre on Saturday for the launch of The Gifts of the Departed exhibition, a new solo show of work by UK-based interdisciplinary artist Alinah Azadeh. The launch event kicks off at 1pm inside the former Victorian market hall building, with live music from Manchester String Quartet, a free drinks reception and a talk from the artist at 3pm.
- On Sunday ascend the dizzy heights of the Manchester Town Hall Clock Tower, via the hidden staircase, with Manchester Guided Tours. This is a great opportunity to see and hear the startling mechanism which drives the clock, investigate behind the huge faces of the dial and see first hand Great Abel, the eight-tonne bell whose hourly chimes can be heard throughout the city centre. Plus it’s a great way to get a bird’s eye view of the Christmas Markets on Albert Square.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @CornerhouseMcr See how your body rhythms can be used to make a piece of digital art. Join artist Daksha Patel tomorrow http://bit.ly/1gXHsdU
- @ContactMcr: Country superstar Tina C here Sat ONE NIGHT ONLY. Comedy, satire & song from Duckie’s Christopher Green http://www.contactmcr.com/tinac
- @sadgy: Shop in Northern Quarter, Christmas markets, ice skating, cloud 23 for the view, MOSI, dance until your feet are on fire.
- @ggmanchester: Have a Sunday Roast @TNQRestaurant in the NQ. Voted best restaurant runner up in @ObsFood
- @allfmboc: Go to @levymarket and support independent traders
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Matt Potter: Definitely something to eat and drink in Deansgate or Castlefield.
- Helen Grice: Canal Street and China Town
- Lisa Kenny Killelea: Take the kids to visit Santa in the Arndale
- Sarah Vallelly: Levy Market- best independent street market in the city! Five minutes from Piccadilly on the station car park! 10-4
- Emma Siddle: It’s the Francis House Children’s Hospice Annual Christmas Fair this Sunday from 10-3 at the Stockport Guildhall. Lots of festive treats!
- Pablo O’Hana: See Gravity in Europe’s second largest IMAX screen!
- Mint Lounge: Plenty on at Mint Lounge, tonight we have Top Of The Pops Manchester with free g/list by email firstname.lastname@example.org and then on Saturday Funkademia celebrate 18 years of Manchester clubbing at their coming of age birthday!