Things are starting to feel very festive in Manchester with the twinkling Christmas lights and a wintery nip in the air. Here’s our top 3 suggestions for what to get up to this weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our social media friends.
- The wait is finally over; Manchester Christmas Markets open their ornate wooden gates today for the first time this year, with a promise of festive merriment, a host of food from across the globe and plenty of festive wares fit for any Christmas stocking. Celebrating 15 years in the city, the markets are made up of 300 beautiful chalet-chic wooden houses across nine city centre locations, all within easy walking distance of each other.
- Musicians and music lovers should head over to Manchester Central for The Music Show which is on today and tomorrow. This huge celebration of talent from Manchester and across the North West showcases the latest musical equipment, technologies and services and has a packed programme of performances, workshops and ‘how to’ masterclasses. Those feeling brave can also jam on the main stage with top professionals from the world of music.
- Fancy watching some live international sporting action? Make your way to Wigan’s DW Stadium on Saturday evening to watch England and France battle it out for a place in the Rugby League World Cup Semi-Finals. With tickets starting at just £7.50 it would rude not to.
Here’s what our Twitter followers recommend:
- @visit_bury: We’ll be @burybeerfest Today & Sat. Great beer & music. Just 2 mins walk from Metrolink. See http://ow.ly/qQJrx for info.
- @DeShannon: The secret exhibition at Federation Building, Federation St. 12-4 on Saturday.
- @emmajayneallen: Christmas markets then the olive press for tea! Perfect day!
- @louisebolotin: Louder Than Words @Lthanwordsfest festival at the Palace Hotel all weekend http://louderthanwordsfest.com/
- @ebyford: It has to be @Lthanwordsfest at Palace Hotel feat: Wilko Johnson, Alan McGee, Tim Burgess and lots more http://louderthanwordsfest.com/programme/
- @lsutherland: #PHMPOLLfest @PHMMcr all weekend. Going to be awesome!
- @azacru: #Didsbury Sun pm. Great parks & pubs & pop in #Didsbury_Perk & get free Mcr-invented Pacru boardgame http://pacru.com/takethinkgive
- @naomiroofhyde: The Oast House teepee & Christmas markets 🙂
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Hugh Naughton: Night and Day
- Holly Wood: Bierhaus, Hibernate and ice rink at Spinningfields
- Tracey Cartledge: Visit 2022NQ on Dale Street/Little Lever Street in the NQ, there’s a fantastic exhibition of stunning mosaic works by North West artists tucked away in this hidden little oasis – it has a bar too and the coffee’s not too bad!http://www.2022nq.co.uk/…/a-night-on-the-tiles-exhibition
- Pamela Spamellab Bustard@ BEATS at Contact – http://contactmcr.com/whats-on/6437-beats/ Something different but music-related, pretty cool show!
- Scott Woody Weddell: Kosmonaut for lunch or a drink!
- MANCHESTER UNITED Norske Fan: Visit the Englands smallest pub : The Circus Tavern in Portland street for a beer.
- Clare Simpson: Chorlton Book Festival starts today. Highlights include writing workshop by regular Corrie writer tomorrow at The Edge http://www.edgetheatre.co.uk
- Emma Fox: Town hall clock tower tours! https://clocktowertours.eventbrite.co.uk
- Angela Lady-of Chaol-Ghleann: Afflecks Palace and the brownies in the second floor cafe homemade and mmmmm!