Here’s our guide to the best of what’s on in Manchester this weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our social media friends.
- Christmas kicks off in style tonight with fireworks and musical performances in Albert Square as stars of stage and screen help celebrate the switch-on of the Manchester Christmas Lights. X Factor winner James Arthur will be joined by The Vamps, Joey from War Horse, Peter Pan and Wendy, Manchester Show Choir and many more to help light up the city. This is a free event but get there early to get a good spot. Those who can’t make it can watch the action live here.
- Now the city is feeling very Christmassy, what better to celebrate the start of the festive season than going for a spin on the ice rink at Spinningfields which opens today. If you’re taking little ones, the first three sessions of the day are family focused and all the skating penguins are on the ice to help steady the littlest of skaters. Plus you can also warm up and refuel at the nearby Hibernate and The Long Bar.
- If you thought it was difficult to stand up on the ice, take a stroll to nearby MOSI (Museum of Science & Industry) to see the new exhibition which explores building on ice in Antarctica. Ice Lab: New Architecture and Science in Antarctica features drawings, models, photographs and films that evoke a sense of what it takes to live and work in the most isolated place on Earth, including a light and audio installation by international visual artist Torsten Lauschmann.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @3MT_Manchester: Love Youth and Shakespeare on tonight and tomorrow night. #Manchester https://www.facebook.com/events/410311302422425/?fref=ts
- @Talk2Northstar: A lovely walk around the Castlefield canals near Northstar HQ!
- @roselle: Go and see @nickmulveymusic tonight at @DeafInstitute – should be a great gig with some inspiring music.
- @FMGMediation: Jodrell bank, walking tour Peoples history museum, MOSI & Knott bar
- @floatbeyond: Come try an isolation tank for some Floatation therapy. Different. http://floatbeyond.com
- @Harlow_John79: War of the Roses in Altrincham Sunday, as @manc_phoenix take on Sheffield in the ice hockey. Face Off 5.30pm
- @guestandcompany: Christmas light switch on this eve followed by dinner @MrCooper sHouse then a little shopping tomo. Lunch @yangsingmcr #perfect
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Phil GypsyBoi Mcdougall The switching on of the Manchester Christmas lights tonight at the Town hall
- Rebecca Vistartas: trafford centre!
- Roslyn Malcolm: Alex Metric playing at Sound Control! http://www.soundcontrolmanchester.co.uk/
- Robby Baker: Northern quarter for present hunting!
- Jean Scriven GLOSSOP LOCAL PRODUCE MARKET is TOMORROW!! 9am – 3pm on The Marketplace, Glossop. The friendly traders, both outdoor and in, will have lots of unique Christmas gift ideas for you to browse.
- Katie Mabbett: Tea at Cloud bar Hilton Hotel, Greek restaurant where they dance forgotten name Rozafa Taverna?
- Helen Hobbs: Aflecks palace, The library, The Art gallery, Chetham’s, War museum, Science museum.
- Rhiannon Wyn: Thompson Boccaccio exhibit at John Ryland and Sweeney Todd at the royal exchange
- Angela Hawes: Light switch on tonight. Good acts and great fireworks for free!
- Charlotte Mole-Morgan: The Little Black Dress event at The Lowry Outlet on Saturday afternoon, 1pm-5pm I think…
Image credit: Ice Lab image.Halley VI, Copyright A.Dubber, British Antarctic Survey