Stuck for things to do this weekend? Here’s our top 3 suggestions for what to get up to, plus some bonus suggestions from our social media pals.
- Discover the best of The Quays on Saturday when all the organisations in and around the thriving waterfront location come together for an exclusive one-off family day of events. Visitors can enjoy unprecedented access behind the scenes to the BBC, IWM North and Lowry theatre, along with art installations, talks, a craft, design and art market and much more.
- There is a mass of spooktacular activity taking place across the region ahead of Halloween next week. There’s plenty to do for young and old, we’ve got everything from chilling ghost train rides on the East Lancs Railway, a Zombie Walk in Manchester city centre, which sees over a thousand zombies congregate at The Printworks, to spooky tours at Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium. Who you gonna call?
- Manchester Science Festival kicked off yesterday, bringing together a unique blend of art, workshops, performances and big experiences for all ages. There’s everything from self-cloning, sciencetastic guided walks, bug-themed fun at John Rylands Library, bee masterclasses and everything in between, including brains and dinosaurs, of course.
Here’s what our Twitter friends suggest
- @BImaginations: They cld check out the thriving kids theatre scene. Enchanting puppets @TheEdgeMcr + a musical seagull & a watery treat @z_mcr
- @CastlefieldGall: Check out the newly re-launched @CFCCA_UK & their brilliant show Cao Fei’s HAZE AND FOG + Q&A on Sat http://ow.ly/qaiYI FREE
- @Cont_breakfast: Head to a great museum, like MOSI, Imperial War Museum or the Manchester Museum. More here: http://wp.me/p3i9y0-82
- @CornerhouseMcr: Treat yourself to a horror double bill on Sat night http://bit.ly/1bkRssu Dracula & Night of the Demon on the big screen!
- @VisitSalford: don’t miss the @_urbanmarket @GreengateSquare this weekend with great seasonal products and Halloween fun http://ow.ly/qaaeU
- @markcreid: @McrSciFest // #atp @StudioSalford // @HomeSweetHomeNQ
- @levfest: @levfest Europes biggest community Festival starts today Fri 25 Oct /Sun 10 Nov http://www.levenshulmefestival.co.uk Art Dance Music Theatre
- @modernistsoc: Take yourself on a free bus trip & seek out 20th C. Architecture with @modernistsoc’s new free guide http://wp.me/p28hlA-pK
- @cornexchangeMAN: Head down to @cornexchangeMAN #DrinksEmporium and lose yourself with the best pop up bars http://bit.ly/19eGmFv
- @kissmyart: Show & Tell at @CornerhouseMcr on Saturday. And it’s free! http://www.cornerhouse.org/creatives/creatives-events/show-tell-october-2013
- @castlegalleries: Visit our gallery in @traffordcentre to meet @Impossimal artist Peter Smith on Sunday afternoon http://www.castlegalleries.com/events/meet-the-artist-peter-smith-at-the-trafford-centre
- @HLCupcake: hop on your broomstick to our cupcakery this weekend to enjoy some devilishly good #halloween cupcakes!
- @craigmac1986: Go to @KingStReserve cocktail pop up for the best drinks in the city
- @angieokchan: Take part in #msf13 by contributing to @Wikipedia at this editing day w/ @mcrgirlgeeks on Sunday @madlabuk http://mggmsf-wikiedit.eventbrite.co.uk/
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Z-arts: The Big Imaginations Children’s Theatre Festival continues at Z-arts with two brilliant shows this Sunday. http://www.z-arts.org/
- Jo Chadwick: Go see Wicked!
- Natalie Ireland: Manchester science festival! Rube Goldberg machine at MOSI, synthesis & loads more sciencey goodness.
- Clare Simpson: Puppet show on Saturday and spooky storytelling on Sunday at The Edge in Chorlton. Part of Big Imaginations Theatre Festival across the North West.
- Kim Hutson: Ordsall Hall have a special ‘Tudors Dead!’ event this Sunday from 1.30-3.30pm. You can meet some of the deceased residents of the Hall, bring a pumpkin to carve (or design one to carve at home), make potions, make a peg voodoo doll and more. The Hall is just 10mins from Manchester City Centre on the tram. Take the eccles/mediacity line to Exchange Quay.
- Sophie Gardner: Underground allnighter gig beneath the streets of Manchester – the city’s best up & coming bands play in an Ancoats basement followed by an indie rave afterparty by special guest DJs & Manchester legends http://www.facebook.com/abandonmcr
- Kate Hesketh: Bop Local with Mike Joyce DJ-ing at Chorlton Irish Club! Top night out x
- Ulrich W. Becker: MoSI, its Great!
Image: Malaria artworks by Luke Jerram