Here’s our weekly guide to the best of what’s on across Manchester, plus some excellent recommendations from our wise social media friends.
- The worlds of art and music collide in the new Alison Goldfrapp: Performer as Curator exhibition which opens at The Lowry tomorrow. Visitors have a rare opportunity to explore some of the musician’s personal inspirations through the painters, film makers, illustrators and photographers who have helped to shape her unique artistic vision.
- Foodies who want to squirrel away some tasty treats for the festive season should head to North West Food Lovers Festival, the region’s largest indoor food and drink festival, at EventCity next to the Trafford Centre. With some of the best chefs from across the North West and UK, and over 150 food and drink producers, you won’t go home hungry. Plus there are kids cooking classes, wine seminars and chef demos.
- The official England rugby league team take on Italy at Salford City Stadium on Saturday, their last match before the Rugby League World Cup. In a fantastic double header you can see England Knights v Samoa, before the first team take on Italy. Adult tickets are just £15 and any accompanying children who are 16 and under go free.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @ContactMcr: Fri: poets @YoungIDmcr http://www.contactmcr.com/mirrors + Sat: 7th Black/Asian Writers Conf @BAWConf @McrLitFest http://contactmcr.com/whats-on/6033-the-7th-black-asian-writers-conference/
- @visit_bury: Some of the biggest names in English Folk will be @themet in Bury for the Homegrown Festival, Sat & Sun. http://ow.ly/pWrIe
- @HardRockCafeMCR: #livemusic Fridays at Hard Rock Cafe #Manchester – free entry & all welcome! This week, it’s JERICHO http://ow.ly/pWo0K
- @ACPFestival: We might be *slightly* biased, but we reckon ACPF#3 is gonna be pretty great!
- @NQManchester: Head to the Northern Quarter & check out @ACPFestival plus all the other great stuff going on around here. http://northernquartermanchester.com/a-carefully-planned-festival-3/
- @altrinchamhq: On Sunday it’s the Frank Sidebottom statue unveiling in Timperley – easily event of the weekend
- @CastlefieldGall: Last chance to catch #NicolaEllis & #AuraSatz going Head-to-Head at @CastlefieldGall ENDS 20th Oct FREE http://ow.ly/pWcVm
- @tourmanchester: Manchester Town Hall tour Sun (20th) 11am. Meet outside main entrance, Albert Sq. £7 / 6 pp. Come along, you’ll love it
- @JohnRDKing: They should go to @LoungeTen for incredible food and that 1920s swingin’ feeling! #foodgasm #foodbaby #manchester
- @VSBramhall: Why not head to @vsbramhall and join in the fun at Bramhalls Got Talent tomorrow 11 to 5 it’s going to be great day! @BramhallsGT
- @5starcorporate: They must have Sunday lunch at The Lowry Hotel fantastic value and a great place !!
- @andyhusky: Get down to Boundary Park – Oldham Athletic v Carlisle #properfootball
- @MatthewJ_A: A bar crawl from Piccadilly grdns, Portland st, Oxford Road then Deansgate/the locks – Funky and free entry all the way to locks!
- @annienewsham: The fab @altrinchammkt is back again on Sunday
- @thinhungrygirl: North West food lover’s festival, or @Guerrilla_Eats of course!
- @alisonstott: Get on to @hmvmanchester for the brill @mattgoss will be there x
- @ChapelStStudios: New Comedy-drama #womensvoices is at Chapel St Studios tonight & tomorrow http://www.newlivetheatre.co.uk/shows/womens-voices/ – still some tickets left!!
- @Tequilan: Go to @HardRockCafeMCR for a cocktail
- @allfmboc: @AbandonMCR | @ACPFestival | @womenincomedyuk
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Jean Scriven: The Artisan Market, Wilmslow tomorrow
- Jasmin Sommer Alsholm: The John Rylands Library is a fascinating building to visit
- Z-arts: The Big Imaginations Children’s Theatre Festival starts this weekend with 150 events at 28 venues across the North West. http://www.z-arts.org/
- Gm Manch: Disney on Ice!?
- Cecilie Strandmyr: How about a tour of Old Trafford and watch a good game
- Dmitry Jefremov: Visit MOSI. The best place I’ve ever been!
- Si Hands: The Carefully Planned is on in the northern quarter with loads of great music! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carefully-Planned/21382410257
- Crafty Vintage: Kings Arms Vintage fair https://www.facebook.com/KingsArmsVintageFair