It might be feeling colder outside but there is no time to hibernate with so many excellent events taking place across the region. So don your thermals and head out for a fun filled weekend in Manchester. Here’s our top 3 suggestions for what to get up to, plus some bonus suggestions from our social media friends.
- Manchester Weekender is back with a weekend-long snapshot of the best art and culture the city has to offer. With everything from performance art to pop-up cinema, music premieres to intimate gigs, art exhibitions to secret theatre, you may struggle to find time to sleep.
- The magical Bury Light Night returns tonight with a unique programme of live music, performance, dance, story telling and weird and wonderful art commissions. Jump on the tram from Manchester to Bury where you’ll find stunning visual displays across the town centre, a large scale projection artwork exploring the Grimm Brother’s Sleeping Beauty, along with a spectacular hot air balloon, an Enchanted Garden and much more.
- It’s the opening weekend of Manchester Literature Festival. This is every bookworm’s dream, with a bumper programme of internationally renowned authors, industry insights, bespoke walking tours and exclusive performances of specially commissioned work. Whether you’re an avid reader or just setting out on picture books, there is something for everyone at this great annual festival.
Here’s some top tips from our Twitter followers:
- @librarytheatre: It’s your last chance to see #EducatingRita @The_Lowry. It’s had lots of fab reviews. See it while you can http://bit.ly/12KAhhy
- @catch_ch: The Manchester Print fair is definitely worth a visit this Saturday! @mcrprintfair
- @ChippedRedNails: so many great events happening this weekend for @McrLitFest
- @HauntedRooms: Get in the mood for Halloween with a ghost hunt at Ryecroft Hall, Audenshaw tonight! 🙂 http://www.hauntedrooms.co.uk/ryecroft-hall-ghost-hunt-manchester-friday-11th-october-2013
- @fathomituk: Afternoon tea in the town hall
- @lorettafox: Eccles Cake festival in Eccles this weekend. It’s a MUST!
- @KirstyDobsLeigh: @GNCCF is happening in spinningfields this weekend
- @MadeleineMellin: John Rylands Library and Museum of Science and Industry.
- @visit_bury: Its #burylightnight tonight. Spectacular events across the town centre. Follow @burylightnight & See http://tinyurl.com/lscjwog
- @Michaelmarsh4: If they cycle they can see both stadiums and the great cycling team that base them selves in Manchester. I use canal all the time
- @BalamGareth: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/dd051/4b66b/ got it all there!
- @Michaelmarsh4: I would say the national football museum and cycle around Manchester canals
- @Skooks_1: Well I’m coming up to see @HowardDonald dj at Venus 🙂
- @RevsFallowfield: Our reopening party tonight!
- @5_free_hours: @BuryLightNight is on tonight and a kids tour of John Rylands Library with @GrumboldDragon tomorrow are both part of our plans
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Chezzie Le Choux: To revolution at deansgate locks for our honey Jack Daniels and Gingerbread cake with coffee for £ 3.50!
- Rachel McGreal: The Manchester Print Fair on Saturday 12-5 at 2022NQ! Over 30 stalls of amazing local print and illustration talent! Great place to pick up some unique Xmas presents or a treat for yourself! http://www.manchesterprintfair.co.uk
- Mike Jones: Pub Crawl. NORTHERN QUARTER. Best Bars & Restaurants
- Emma Boo Galliano: Eat cake at Chezzie Le Choux x
- Christelle Vaillant: The Manchester Weekender of course, and Diwali.
- Babs No Pasaran: Lanterns parade in Albert Square Saturday evening