Here’s our weekly guide to the best of what’s on across Manchester this weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our social media pals.
- There’s a real treat for sport fans tomorrow when local boys Wigan Warriors take on Warrington Wolves in the Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford. £20 tickets are still available to see the North West Rugby League rivals battle it out in the end of season showdown for the right to be called Champions and lift the Super League trophy.
- The Big Indie Wine Fest is a must for all wine enthusiasts. This year’s event is being held in the beautiful surroundings of the iconic Manchester Town Hall over three sessions, one tonight and two tomorrow. Set in the splendour of the Great Hall, surrounded by the famous Ford Madox Brown murals, this is a great opportunity to sample some exciting, exclusive and boutique wines from around the world.
- Head to Cornerhouse to see the new We Were All Here, Once exhibition of images of the city’s night scene in the late 1970s and early 1980s from Manchester-based photographer David Chadwick. This is the first time these unique photographs, summarised by Chadwick simply as “young people looking for love”, have been displayed together in public.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @TheatreByNumber: our production of #othello is @GulliversNQ. 7:30 doors £6. A cast of 4 take on multiple roles accompanied by live music
- @CornerhouseMcr: kick off the wkend with our screening of The Pervert’s Guide to Ideology & satellite Q&A with Slavoj Žižek http://bit.ly/15McHo8
- @librarytheatre: treat yourself to some theatre. Our production of #EducatingRita @The_Lowry has had glowing reviews http://bit.ly/12KAhhy
- @visit_bury: Great Family event @eastlancsrly as everyone’s favourite engine steams into Bury. See Day Out with Thomas http://ow.ly/puqEG
- @DawnieGlossop: def for lots of belly laughs @womenincomedyuk
- @HanFarrell1: craft centre/drinks in northern quart/mike garry @soup kitchen fri, south sat. Bars: marble arch, apotheca, corbierres!
- @HLCupcake: the @MFDF13 in Albert Sq. we will be there all weekend!
- @emmajaneramsden: Here’s something different for visitors to Manchester on Saturday night:https://m.facebook.com/turnitoutmanchester/posts/202871159893112
- @Catmadlez: Middleton beer fest!
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Simon Cymro Williams: I’d recommend a lunch at Annies Manchester – friendliest and cosiest restaurant in Manchester, followed by a stroll around the Manchester Food and Drink Festival and then head over to Old Trafford for the fantastic Super League Grand Final or take a trip to the UK’s best theatre – The Royal Exchange Theatre to watch the fantastic All My Sons
- Jo Chadwick: Palace theatre for Wicked, Food and drink festival, the Lowry, Imperial war museum
- DjVlad Nrg Cativo: Go to dance Salsa and socilize at Copacabana, Dale St. It is a fantastic place in Manchester
- Jermaine Atiya-alla: Shopping at the Trafford Centre and maybe a visit to the rugby super league final and staying at the Abode would top a great weekend
- Helen Smith: MBS festival at The Monastery in Gorton
- Karen Lewis: Super League Grand final at Old Trafford
- David Jackson: Visit the bus museum at Chetham hill it’s on Boyle street of queens road
- Liz Salthouse: Oxjam in the northern quarter and food festival