Here’s our guide to the best of what’s on in Manchester this weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our helpful social media friends.
- Football fever is washing over the city as excitement mounts for the Manchester derby on Sunday. This is a great excuse to check out the new exhibition at the Manchester United Museum celebrating the club’s former star and one of football’s most famous names, David Beckham. The temporary exhibition features everything from the training kit he wore as a teenager, to his first team shirts from big matches such as the 99 Champions League Final.
- On Sunday make your way to A Taste of Trafford food and drink festival at Altrincham Market for a good old gorge. There will be plenty of specialist producers selling their wares, including La Rioja, M&M’s Caribbean Spice and newcomers Manchester Cheesecakes, the Cooking Sisters and Pixie Bakery. Those seeking a tasty tipple will be catered for by Dunham Massey Brewery and 34 Wines, while Olive Connection will be serving up afternoon tea in the market house to sounds of the 40s and 50s.
- Fancy watching some great live music for free? Then head to the iconic Manchester venue Band on the Wall for the Sunday Acoustic Session, which showcases some of the best emerging musical talent coming out of Manchester and the surrounding area. This week’s line-up features Rook & The Ravens and Lei Freda, and if you’re feeling really brave there is a free open mic slot at 6.30pm.
Here’s what our Twitter followers recommend:
- @AtHomeNotAlone: preserving workshop at Longford Park community allotment on Saturday 21st led by Ollie from @caffeineandco as part of #thebigdig
- @katemaggs2: @thenankeens single launch Deaf Institute Sat 21st 7.30pm with @SkinnyRoller & @TheRelays #livemusic
- @tasteoftrafford: call us biased, but there’s a #tasteoftrafford at #Altrincham Market between 11-4 on Sunday http://bit.ly/17O0bBZ
- @PorterRaymond: @Mcr_Magic Season opener! Sat 21st Magic v Worthing 6:30pm and Sun 22nd v Sefton 5pm Game Tickets: Adults £5 Cons £2 Family £10
- @SiManM20: Try @CavFest – fundraising mini-festival featuring @badly_drawn_boy @therealboon @slowreadersclub and more.
- @Jessbalodis: have a spot of lunch at the award winning @DamsonMediaCity #greatfood
- @OldFashionedSus: defo the Vintage Fashion & Textile fair the the Armitage Centre @decorativefairs
- @annienewsham: A Taste of Trafford @altrinchammkt on Sunday. Food,drink ,music and more!
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Lisa Hewitt: We’re going to do a walking tour, then food and drinks at the Blue Pig in the Northern Quarter.
- Jonathan Hewitt: 2 more weekends left to visit The One Show Maize Maze at Red House Farm in Dunham Massey!
- Jean Scriven: It’s a teeny bit outside Manchester but The Artisan Market in Wilmslow tomorrow is fantastic!
- Phil Collins: An afternoon at the Runway Visitor Centre at Manchester Airport
- Susan Duncan: Wicked at The Palace Theatre not 2 be missed,supereb show.