Here’s our guide on what to do this weekend in Manchester plus some bonus suggestions from our helpful social media followers.
- Float-in movies, music, art, food and crafts for kids. That’s what you’ll get if you head to the Manchester Canal Festival this Saturday and Sunday between 12pm and 10pm. The event takes place at Brownfield Mill, Piccadilly Basin, Manchester, M1 2JB.
- Watch Olympic medalist Lutalo Muhammad take part in the National Taekwondo Championships 2013 at the National Cycling Centre. This event starts the cycle for the Rio Olympics 2016 so is the perfect chance to see the stars of the future! If you’re taking part in the event (or just a spectator who fancies some pampering) head over to Spa Satori in the Northern Quarter for a body treatment or sports massage.
- The world famous Black Pudding Throwing Championships are back! Happening in Ramsbottom on Sunday at 12pm, the event, which attracts media from around the globe, takes over Bridge Street with the competition itself, stalls and other entertainment. Make a day of it by travelling there on the East Lancs Railway.
Here’s what our Twitter followers recommend:
- @BadManMedia: Mosi / Football Museum / hard rock cafe new exhibition / art gallery …… manchester canal festival
- @NQManchester: Head to Manchester Canal Festival @MCRcanalfest for music, film & fun…..& it’s FREE!! http://northernquartermanchester.com/2013-canal-festival-on-port-street/ …
- @MCRcanalfest: our free mini fest at Brownsfield Mill on Port St. NQ. 12-10 sat & sun. Music: food: cinema: art: kids crafts: beers
- @CornerhouseMcr: why not check out some interesting artist film. Catch our screening of @LandguardPoint on Sunday at 16:00 http://bit.ly/1a3jIz6
- @CastlefieldGall: Fancy some contemporary art? Check out our new exhibition of work by #NicolaEllis & #AuraSatz http://ow.ly/oCI8u FREE
- @chelliepaz: #GreenFood Trail event in #MCR this weekend. youtu.be/aYhJSfzg_XI
- @LukeArtist: pencil, pad n draw kids by fountain, fairies in art gallery, brains n trains n planes at mosi, then u will really see manc life
- @visit_bury: World Black Pudding Throwing Championships & @ArtisanBury this Sun, Ramsbottom, Bury. Travel by @eastlancsrly 0161 253 5111
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Ann Fraser-Smith: Sheltering from the rain in Manchester Museum or The Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester!
- Eamonn Duffy: Visit the football museum near Victoria station
- Benjamin Gort: Tea at the Lowry then lunch in the Midland and Breakfast in the hills
- Carl Petch: Canal festival this weekend