Here’s our guide on what to do this weekend in Manchester plus some bonus suggestions from our helpful social media followers.
- There are lots of great events taking place at Manchester Pride Fringe this weekend, highlights include the sixth annual Pink Dog Show in Sackville Gardens, The Great Village Bake Off and Colour of Salford at Greengate Square – a colourful celebration of music, water and paint at Salford’s newest public space.
- There’s a great free treat for Disney fans at the Spinningfields Family Film Club tomorrow with a screening of Tangled at 11am. There will also be a whole host of fun-filled activities, including face painters, balloon modellers and families will be treated to a very special Disney guest both before and after the screening.
- Take a trip Gallery Oldham to see the Spindleopolis When Cotton was King exhibition which features contemporary paintings, photographs and objects which explore the lives of ordinary Oldhamers 100 years ago when the town boasted more cotton spindles than any other town in the world.
Here’s what our Twitter followers recommend:
- @Gaggyboot: a fun day out at Heaton Park
- @Cont_breakfast: Celebrate Manchester’s multilingual legacies by heading out to one of many foreign restaurants. More here: http://wp.me/p3i9y0-82
- @BladezSkating: Come to millennium style Roller Disco, no lycra or dodgy hairdos, just state of the art skates, good music, great fun & exercise
- @VisitSalford: lots going on #ColourofSalford @GreengateSquare tonight http://ow.ly/nYWoU & @trisalford on Sunday http://ow.ly/nYWsm
- @MediaCityUK: come down to watch the @SalfordTri @VisitSalford http://bit.ly/YvFpjV
- @PortlandThistle: Free Kids Triathlon Fun Day, 6-12 years old this Sunday 18th Aug MCR http://www.liteatnite.co.uk for info and register kids!
- @KeninSpoons: The Whitworth, before it closes.
- @CastlefieldGall: Last chance 2 catch the very fun #SomeMisunderstanding exhibition at @CastlefieldGall Ends Sun 18th FREE http://ow.ly/nYTwk
- @TheMidlandQ: Book one of our famous Afternoon Teas and indulge in some people watching away from the Manchester rain.
- @altrinchamhq: @Altvtgmarket on Sunday and this Wednesday we had a #BurgerOff #Altrincham contest – so weekend taste Best Meaty @tapaslarioja Best Veggie @OxfordRoadCafe
- @Rachelconnolly4: @MancBierkeller opens to the public tonight, that will be an experience, live oompah band and dj from 11pm #stientime
- @AllStarLanesMCR: stay dry indoors & visit us for #brunch & #bowling! Lots of fun for the kids, mums & dads too! pic.twitter.com/GuVkSgV7KW
- @MancOnline: The Big Stockport Cycle on Sunday @lifeleisureUK http://wp.me/p2nRTI-67
- @marie22289601: have a fantastic meal at Australasia and try one of their cocktails! Amazing!!
- @Girl_on_board: Give skateboarding at whirl at Projekts skatepark! http://projektsmcr.com/
- @Danny_Callan: check out the northern quarter and eat out at print works!
- @staithes: literary history, visit Portico Library
- @FigSparrow: visitors should come & check out @FigSparrow on Oldham Street. New independent shop & coffee bar, a warm welcome awaits
- @_becky_sims: Disney comes to Spinningfields 17th August 2013 http://www.birdconsultancy.co.uk/bird-news/disney-comes-to-spinningfields#.Ug3MNsloFu0.twitter This is a great family one
- @WoodysPreserves: A meander round the Northern Quarter with a camera. I LOVE it!!!!!
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Kim Hutson: Ordsall Hall on Sunday! They have a fab creepy crawly exhibition for all the family as well as a creepy crawly trail and badge-making. All free but donations very much welcome! There’s also a walking tour of the Hall for adults at 2pm open 1pm-4pm
- Clare Simpson: Miss Taurus tonight at 8.30pm
- Andy Grant: Bierkeller. Went last night it’s top
- Kat Atakuru: Family Film Club is on at Spinningfields on Saturday morning
- Stephen Latrell Olner: We recently visited Manchester from the US, we spent two weeks there and did different stuff every day. By far our favorite was visiting Wild Wings Birds of Prey at Bents Gardens
- Shelley Laskier: National football museum – mum and daughters go shopping – dad and sons – spend a couple of hours at the museum – meet for lunch or afternoon tea = happy families!!!! http://www.nationalfootballmuseum.com/