Summertime is in full swing across Manchester so get out and enjoy some of the excellent activities we have to offer this weekend. Here’s our top 3 suggestions for what to get up to, plus some bonus ideas from our Twitter and Facebook friends.
- Enjoy the ultimate garden party at the RHS Flower Show in the grounds of one of Britain’s most historic estates, Tatton Park. Explore the inspirational gardening and floral displays while enjoying live music, fine food and entertainment.
- MOSI’s (Museum of Science & Industry) major new exhibition Brains: The Mind as Matter opens today, exploring what humans have done to brains in the name of medical intervention, scientific enquiry, cultural meaning and technological change. Featuring real brains, artworks, manuscripts, artefacts, videos and photography, Brains follows the long quest to manipulate and decipher the most unique and mysterious of human organs, whose secrets continue to confound and inspire.
- The 18th Manchester Jazz Festival gets underway today, with 10 days of great music taking places at venues across the city. With performances from jazz legends, new commissions and free gigs, there is plenty to whet the appetite of any music lover.
Here’s what our Twitter followers recommend:
- @RefugeCharity: The #Benefayre is coming to #Manchester Piccadilly Gardens this weekend in support of Refuge! http://www.benefayre.co.uk
- @rxtheatre:Come to ON THE GRASS in #stannssquare – loads of free theatre &activities as part of TRUTH ABOUT YOUTH http://www.royalexchange.co.uk/event.aspx?id=744
- @CornerhouseMcr: we’ve a free interactive gaming wkshop for 14-19 yr olds tomorrow. Perfect way to kick off the summer hols http://bit.ly/129eFXn
- @LiveWireMcr: FREE interactive gaming workshop for 14-19yo @CornerhouseMcr tomorrow, booking required! More info here: http://bit.ly/1aTu3ik
- @Veganmanc: Sat 8pm til late @ the Thirsty Scholar, Oxford Rd, Manchester spins amazing vinyl tuneage – ENTRY IS FREE!
- @madebyand: #formingwords – fab exhibition @ManchesterCraft
- @CastlefieldGall: Last chance to catch the brilliant #SpaceshipUnbound exhibition @CastlefieldGall ENDS 28 Jul http://ow.ly/nl9tL FREE
- @mossleymodel: Try the The Millstone PH on Thomas Street – great pub -you’ll see the model I made of their pub proudly displayed behind the bar!
- @Neighbourhood4: They are welcome to join us at the cities coolest Brunch club on Sunday. Stunning food & old school 80s music #BrunchClubMcr
- @z_mcr: Hulme Is Where The Art Is, free family friendly festival from 12pm tomorrow in Hulme Park http://www.z-arts.org/HIWTAI
- @CelinaKs: flower show in tatton park, exhibition at manchester art gallery or just a coffee in NQ. It’s gonna rain this weekend
And here’s what our facebook friends suggest:
- Natalie Ireland: Brains at MOSI… new exhibition opens today. It’s blooming brilliant! http://www.mosi.org.uk/whats-on/brains-the-mind-as-matter.aspx
- Clare Byfield: Wythenshawe games opens in Wythenshawe park tomorrow. Loads of sports to try and a gymnastics display at 2.
- Cultivate film art: Art house Sunday this week at JOSHUA BROOKS with a special screening of Orson Welles A TOUCH OF EVIL http://cultivatefilmart.blogspot.co.uk/
- LiveWire Cornerhouse: We have a FREE interactive gaming workshop for 14-19 year olds at Cornerhouse tomorrow, booking is required! More info here: http://bit.ly/1aTu3ik
- Elle Rozenberg: The Theatre Of Dreams Tour = Old Trafford Tour!!