Heading to Manchester for a lovely weekend in the sunshine? Here’s our top 3 suggestions for what to get up to, plus some bonus suggestions from our social media pals.
- Take advantage of the lovely weather and head to Tatton Park which is celebrating The Magic of Beatrix Potter throughout the summer. Look out for characters and scenes from her stories and follow trails in the mansion, farm and gardens and enjoy a rare opportunity to see an exhibition of Beatrix Potter’s original watercolors and drawings, on loan from the National Trust collection.
- Music lovers should head to Wigan International Jazz Festival which is on all weekend offering a unique blend of all-star acts, free events, educational workshops and hands-on masterclasses from some of the best in the business.
- Manchester Craft and Design Centre launches its brand new Forming Words exhibition tomorrow, showcasing a selection of contemporary craft objects which have been inspired and informed by text. Head down to meet the artists, get hands-on with some family friendly craft activities and enjoy some live music from four Manchester-based artists. Plus there will be some word-themed refreshments and cocktails provided by Oak St. Cafe Bar.
Here’s what our Twitter friends suggest:
- @FulcrumTrev: It’s Sparkle Weekend sand Canal St is buzzing. pic.twitter.com/OAao5CR7WE
- @Vintage_Village: The Vintage Village Yanks in Stockport Fair on Sunday 10-4: http://bit.ly/152TAD2 40s Home Front style music, dancing, & Jeeps!
- @Cheryl_J_L: @TheJohnRylands @PHMMcr @voiceofmosi then eat at @SanCarlo_Group
- @Talk2Northstar: We love Castlefield, where we’re based. Lots of lovely bars, good BBQ food and beautiful canals. Perfect for relaxing in the sun!
- @ChapelStStudios: Come to @nowtpartof Theatre Festival on Saturday! 3 amazing new shows above @theblacklionsld 🙂 http://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Manchester/The-Black-Lion/
- @thelassogowrie: @cityco movieoke at the lass o’gowrie!, sunday night. A us hit and only at the lass in the uk. Act out your favourite movie clips
- @4MCRWomen: #AnOasisInTheCity tomorrow Bowdon. Celebrating local independents #KidsClub #VintageTeaRoom #IceCreamTrike pic.twitter.com/eyJtrUFr7B http://www.4manchesterwomen.co.uk/events/
- @bodyrefinery: they could bring some gym kit and get fit? http://www.bodyrefinery.co.uk
- @WilmslowPilates: Spend the day in the city, lunch at Chiccetti, visit MOSI, Rylands Library or Lowry then head to @WilmslowMusic in the evening.
- @jadorevintage1: The J’adore Hollywood Glam Fashion Show tonight ft @therocketmanc at the British Legion, Prestwich, 7.30pm £3!!
- @SMancparkrun: Start the day with a free 5k! 9am Saturday Platt Fields. Register first: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/southmanchester/
- @jonnysimps: Find yourself the nearest beer garden – or make your way to Spinningfields. Sit there. Outside. With a beer. All day. Don’t move.
- @Urbancolours: get their hot bottoms down to Piccadilly markets for some al fresco edible delights and check out the hip crafts on offer.
- @EdChapmanMosaic: Enjoy @Spinningfields in the sun and go to watch Death Bed @kingssalford part of @GMFringe pic.twitter.com/xVqjPQLKpf
- @wobbleyouMCR: Well! Although the main purpose is #fitness – our #flabelos machines are a real giggle for the weekend visitor. It’s only £4 too!
- @MichielBlijboom: the football museum
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Stephen Sutcliffe: Manchester international festival for me, Macbeth with Kenneth Branagh and massive attack
- Robin Preece: Launch of the new exhibition at the Manchester Craft & Design Centre in the Northern Quarter. Great new exhibition, free activities for all ages, free cocktails and refreshments, live music from Manchester bands, and of course all the great makers in residence at the centre. What more could you want?