Visiting Manchester this weekend? Spoilt for choice for what to do? Fear not, here’s our top 3 suggestions for what to get up to, plus some great bonus suggestions from our Twitter and Facebook friends.
- Manchester’s historic Corn Exchange goes back to its roots as a produce market for the first time in nearly a century this weekend as it plays host to the Indie Produce Exchange. Showcasing Manchester’s finest food and drink produce, the Corn Exchange will be packed to the rafters with a mix of foodie stalls of the best locally produced foods and products from across the world sourced by Manchester’s best independent grocers.
- Manchester’s Gay Village turns purple this weekend as the Albert Kennedy Trust (AKT) hosts a number of free events for the Big Purple Weekender. Highlights include an It’s A Knock Out competition and a Drag Race where the community will come out in purple-themed drag to compete in a race. All funds raised will go to the charitable trust.
- Coffee lovers should head to the Chorlton Coffee Festival which sees over 30 cafes, bars and restaurants hosting various events over the weekend, as well as offering coffee-based drinks specials for festival attendees. Events include a poetry workshop, intimate gigs and a cycle tour around the finest coffee haunts in Chorlton,
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @strictlywheels: come see some of Europe’s best #Wheelchair #Dancesport competitors dance at Manchester Grand Prix! http://www.strictlywheelchairdancing.co.uk/manchestergrandprix/
- @cornexchangeMAN: Why not visit @cornexchangeMAN for our #IndieProduceExchange, an independent market packed with local foods, crafts & more
- @lgfoundation: FREE & fantabulosa #LGBT event with @PolariMission @lgfoundation tonight in MCR centre, 6-8pm! http://bit.ly/12ujotC
- @Sandinista_Manc: Come to Sandi’s for Zombies, rum and FIRE!!
- @CastlefieldGall: This Sat! Soldering workshop with @hacmanchester. Part of @CastlefieldGall #SpaceshipUnbound. Grab a spot! http://ow.ly/mt3KX
- @z_mcr: Tonight at @z_mcr La CARTA, a musical journey across Latin America, 8pm £8/£5 http://bit.ly/16DWQ73
- @3MT_Manchester: @Shakespear trio are with us tonight for 1 night ONLY! https://www.facebook.com/events/169825696515210/#Shakespeare #drama
- @BLAManchester: If you’re a football fan it has to be @footballmuseum
- @jordanjmcdowell: @Artisan_SF?
- @SMancparkrun: start the day with a free 5k! 9am Saturday Platt Fields. Register first: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/southmanchester/ …
- @TheBarkerBaker: The fabulous food and craft market at @HorseJockey in Chorlton this Saturday is an absolute must for anyone visiting Manchester
- @HLCupcake: Our Wimbledon cupcakes are being served all weekend long at Hey Little Cupcake! pic.twitter.com/jaBffI05pg
- @KT_Fairfield: I recommend the Richmond tea rooms if they can get a booking!
- @boroughbusiness: The fantastic Heywood 1940’s Weekend this Sat & Sun! http://ow.ly/msRMh
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Sally Gilford: Print Your Own Tshirt Workshop at Islington Mill….couple of places left…its the last one until September so join us and make your own personalised festival tee! http://one69a.com/blog/screen-printing/
- Cultivate film art: This Sunday at CULTIVATE is the MIIKE TAKASHI double bill with GOZU and VISITOR Q, his vicious theatricality, dark humor and audacious narratives.So if your a fan of Asian cinema get down to JOSHUA BROOKS 106 Princess street.