Don’t let the wet weather dampen your spirits, it’s the weekend which means it’s time to get out and enjoy yourself – come rain or shine. Here’s our top 3 suggestions for what to get up to in Manchester this weekend, plus some bonus ideas from our social media friends.
- If you fancy sampling something tasty head to the St Ann’s Food Fair where you’ll find a fabulous selection of artisan produce including homemade ice cream, continental breads and cakes, jams, locally produced cheese, organic spirits and lots more. Plus you’ll be able to grab some lunch while you browse from the selection of street food stalls.
- Head down to The Quays on Sunday for the Chinese Dragon Boat Festival and witness over 30 teams compete in the ornate boats. Along with racing there will be traditional Chinese food and culture to enjoy, including traditional lion dances, folk dances, music, songs and Chinese calligraphy.
- If you want to do something a bit different catch one this weekend’s performances of the Library Theatre Company’s site-specific production Manchester Sound: The Massacre. This unique production is performed in a secret city centre venue and brings the changing face of protest in our radical city vividly to life – from the Peterloo Massacre of 1819 to the late 80s acid house scene, through to today.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @createatsalford: Experience @MediaCityUK like never before this Father’s Day weekend 15-16 June for our Create at Salford Festival!! #UoSCreate
- @IWHCmanchester: James Joyce lovers, we have a treat for you this Sunday, #Bloomsday 2-4pn @IWHCmanchester http://bit.ly/1aaruoW
- @ManchesterBo: The Northern Home Show started today on all wkend @EventCityUK and you get 2 FREE tickets on our website http://www.boconcept.co.uk/manchester
- @librarytheatre: Site specific show #ManchesterSound, innovative, immersive drama about Peterloo & acid house rave http://bit.ly/X75DxU
- @TheWhimWhamCafe: @TheWhimWhamCafe & other independent local businesses at @CastlefieldMrkt on Sun. There’s a vintage market there this wk too
- @NamcoTrafford: Looking for something fun to do this weekend? Why not try our Activity Pass! http://www.traffordcentre.co.uk/whatson/offers/info.aspx?ID=2961
- @HLCupcake: Treat your Dad this Fathers Day to a personalised cupcake! Available all weekend from our @Spinningfields cupcakery!
- @GalleryOldham: Our Wild About Oldham day tomorrow should be great fun. Activities, wildlife, an exhibition and more! http://www.galleryoldham.org.uk/events/families.htm
- @TrevorAshworth1: Visit the UK’s leading ‘all ability’ outdoor cycling at Wythenshawe Park for family fun between 1-3pm. http://www.wythenshawe-wheelers.org/
- @berthall01: @KYOCERADUK when your done with all the sightseeing you need to refuel so go and eat @AlmostFamousMCR
- @EagleChildRammy: Cheese + beer night here tonight in Rammy at 7pm. Local beers paired with local cheeses!
- @PtonkInThePark: feeding the 5000 Event sounds good, Sat afternoon
- @DanielleBramall: support MOSI #manchester #weekend 🙂
- @SMancparkrun: start the day with a free 5k! 9am Saturday Platt Fields. Register first: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/southmanchester/
- @NordenCarnival: it’s @NordenCarnival this weekend – our version of the Manchester Parade. Craft stalls, fun fair, activities and live bands.
- @bevridyard: Lots going on in saddleworth! Greenfield brewery tours and @DiggleBlues2013
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Mike Parr: Museum of Science & Industry
- Andrew Hayward: Shopping in some of Manchester’s finest shops, then a bite to eat for lunch, back to the hotel to refresh for the Manchester night life and a stroll on to canal street, Manchester where every day is like a Saturday, Manchester a 24hour city