Get ready for a fun-filled bank holiday weekend in Manchester as our region is brimming with great activities to keep you entertained. Here’s our top 3 ideas for what to get up to plus a bumper selection of ideas from our social media followers.
- Starting on Saturday with Rugby League’s Magic Weekend, Manchester hosts the Great Weekend of Sport. Top athletes from around the world go head-to-head in the Great City Games on Deansgate on Saturday, followed by the famous Great Manchester Run on Sunday. On Monday the athletes of the future get their chance to shine in the Great Manchester Junior and Mini Run at SportCity.
- Festival Oldham takes place tomorrow in the heart of Oldham celebrating the very best art and entertainment the town has to offer. With shows, music and street theatre, this festival celebrates Oldham’s past and future and proves itself to be a fantastic event. Look out for the street ballet with shopping trolleys.
- Explore the world of Native American Indians at Manchester Museum’s new exhibition Warriors of the Plains which opens on Saturday. The exhibition brings to life 200 years of Native North American warfare with examples of feather headdresses, shields, moccasins, painted hides, scalps, pipes and tomahawks on display.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @visit_bury: Head to the East Lancashire Railway’s award winning 1940s weekend. Vintage glamour, music, entertainment .http://tinyurl.com/nfo783g
- @voiceofmosi: Come to MOSI for the start of our May half-term events and activities! http://ht.ly/lm4RA
@ContactMcr: #opendoors family-friendly open day for all ages Sat 11am-4pm. Soft-play area, workshops, music, food, stalls http://www.contactmcr.com/opendoors
- @NewMcrwalks: #Manchester music tour Sunday 3pm f. Knott Bar with Ed Glinert, ex-Mojo, author of Fodor’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Traveller series.
- @Hannah_NorburnL start your 3 day weekend down @LaVidaMCR @The_Circle_Club tonight |House HipHop RnB| Send g’list names to 07792576657
- @tourmanchester: Didsbury walking tour this Sunday (26th) at 11.30am. Meet outside Didsbury library. Price £7 / £6 pp @didsburylife @visit_mcr
- @joodooe: Get to spinningfields for free ice cream from Ben and Jerry!! Then watch the 10k Bupa event, head over to the Oast House 4 music!
- @WatersideArts: Our lovely art show The Lightfoot Letters, combining text and textiles, launches Sat 2-4pm; meet the artists and scoff some cake!
- @VisitSalford: Looking forward to Worsley to Manchester Walks & Water cruise on Bank Holiday Monday http://ow.ly/llLiA
- @katemaggs2: Get down to The Walkabout Bar this evening to hear brilliant local band @thenankeens It’s free.
- @boyinfashionUK: Tell them to get down to @Guerrilla_Eats on Saturday near King Street. An awesome culture of top, pop-up nosh!! 🙂
- @KarenWroeArtist: #Altrincham has its very own arts centre, #artwithaheart. Basil Morrison exhibition, heritage & kids activities. All under 1 roof
- @susanreed24: Why not find out about Native Americans at the ‘Warriors of the Plains’ exhibition opening at Manchester Museum – looks good!
- @stephenpowell08: they can visit the #MUMuseumTour and have their photo taken with the Premier League trophy!! http://Manutd.com/museum #mufc
- @RealMancsy: Visit my exhibition @KosmonautMCR featuring 6 new prints. This is the first time I’ve exhibited and not posted on the streets
- @altrinchamhq: We have battle of the BBQs in Altrincham with @belgianbar on Sunday and @Blue_Dog_Bar on Monday
- @Ria_Amber_Tesia: Neighbourhood cocktails a must. Because it’s bank holiday. They’re the best in town. 🙂 #Spinningfields @Neighbourhood4
- @karenannjohnso3: fiestadelfuego in the northern quarter Saturday
- @NordenCarnival: Come to @nordenvillage Saturday, a bit of shopping or a walk in beautiful countryside and have lunch in one of our great pubs 🙂
- @TheWhimWhamCafe: Enjoy one of our splendid Sunday Roasts @TheWhimWhamCafe after a potter around @CastlefieldMrkt #local #artisan
- @MycheckmateInfo: A trip to the science and industry museum is always worth a go, a few beers in the knot and a walk up the canal to @NQManchester
- @hollyrowan: Pop into the fab group show on at @PSMirabel open this Sat 11 til 5pm http://hollyrowanhesson.co.uk/2013/04/distortwa%e2%80%8brp-exhibition … #art #Manchester
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Cultivate film art: New York special at CULTIVATE FILM CLUB this Sunday with THE WARRIORS and 80 BLOCKS FROM TIFFANY’S with the usual free rum and popcorn. At Joshua Brooks 106 Princess street.
- David Brown Dot to dot today. Tomorrow little Little Sparrow and literature thieves playing in chorlton
- Eamonn Duffy: Have a cold Guinness in mulligans Irish bar
- Jude Gidney: Hop on a train to Greenfield and visit the Vintage and Handmade fair on Sunday.
- Sawsan Al-Jazairi: Visit Trafford Centre, have fish and chips , try Lamab Masala in the curry lane (Rushholeme). Go to Rowly, Visit the Deansgate Library and Piccadilly Gardens and the city centre.
- Anita Headdock: Get on the train to Stalybridge and be part of the oldest brass band competition there is
- Ruaidhrí Séamus O’Brien: Get a tram down to Chorlton if it’s nice weather and have a stroll along the Beech Rd, enjoying the pubs, cafés, independent shops and bars.
- Melanie Myhill: Envirolution Festival in Platt Fields Park tomorrow, Chorlton Bazaar on Sunday.
- Leanne Marlo:w Gay village at night. Go on the starflyer
- Christine Hutchinson: Rugby League’s ‘Magic Weekend’ at the Etihad Stadium Sat/Sun. All the teams in the Super League playing – this is a huge event for the RFL.