The sun may have slipped back behind the clouds but fear not there is plenty going on around our region to brighten your weekend. Here’s our top 3 ideas for what to get up to, plus some bonus suggestions from our Twitter and Facebook friends.
- Visit the beautiful Royal Exchange Theatre to see a performance of Henrik Ibsen’s ground-breaking play A Doll’s House, starring Cush Jumbo. The story of domestic revolution, female empowerment and the journey towards self-liberation opened at the start of the month to rave reviews.
- Go Beneath and Beyond at the Museum of Science & Industry with a visit to its unique live sound installation from artist Stephen Hurrel. The exhibition brings together science and nature to create sounds and projected waveforms within the gallery space that are generated by tectonic shifts and on-going movements beneath the Earth’s surface.
- A great way to spend a rainy day in Manchester is a trip to the adorable Hey Little Cupcake! shop in Spinningfields. Open from 11am – 6pm on Saturday and 1pm – 4.30pm on Sunday, the cupcakery is brimming with tasty delights and lots of lovely cupcake-themed gifts. The interesting artwork, bright pink furniture and checkerboard floor are certain to brighten the gloomiest of days. But don’t take our word for it; see what’s in store on the video below:
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @MCRTourGuide: Rochdale Canal Towpath guided walk this Sun 12 May at 12 noon http://bit.ly/13JbMA9 Ends at Castlefield
- @ContactMcr: FREE urban/social/theatre games/mischief from @thelarksmcr from 5pm on Sat 11 May http://www.contactmcr.com/thelarks and must-see dance with the amazing David Toole (London 2012 Paralympics Opening Ceremony, DV8) http://www.contactmcr.com/extraordinary
- @mintlounge: Either @TOTPmanchester tonight or @Funkademia on Sat both at Mint Lounge! Free g/list for tonight by email email@example.com
- @wewet23: Visit the @NQManchester and definitely don’t miss going to @affleckspalace. That’s your whole day in Manchester sorted!
- @TheWhimWhamCafe: sample our local and artisan food,drink&entertainment inc. Tea&Cake,Sunday Roasts,Local Ales,Gin Saloon&Live Music.Open til 2am
- @AllStarLanesMCR: Shakes, bowling & great food @AllStarLanesMCR
- @Aquarius_LJG: Visit the fabulous @Neighbourhood4 – bringing NYC to Manc!!! Love it!!
- NickyMcCallan: come see me play live in O’ Shea’s Irish Bar on Saturday night @ 10pm! Princess St. Admission free! #welcometomanchester
- @dianeandiain: Visit the #centrestage exhibition as its the last weekend of this free exhibition @The_Lowry also NT connections festival
- @WaringLawyer: Museum of Science & Industry, Imperial War Musuem North just to kick things off!
- @Funkademia: It has to be Manchester s longest running weekly club night at @mintlounge with this weeks guest DJ @TraffordParsons
- @p_thompson4: Visit the National Youth Market on Albert Square then take in the glorious Grade 1 listed Manchester Town Hall
- @SMancparkrun: start the day with a free 5k! 9am Saturday Platt Fields. Register first: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/southmanchester/
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Matthew Ruth: Take a trip to levenshulme – recently named by sunday times in their top ten cool places to live in the uk – for highfield country park, the antiques village, and coffee at pod or trove x all one stop from Piccadilly
- City Centre Cruises: Manchester United Leisure Cruise Tour, Saturday at 09:30 http://www.facebook.com/events/321388801324125/
- John Hall Phoenix foundation at the Deaf Institute on Friday , Puressence at Gorilla on Sat, This Morning Call at the Molly House on Suday is my great Manchester weekend
- CzechoSlovakia: Manchester ice hockey world championship is on – come to The Arch on SUN to watch it live! 15:15 Czech Republic vs. Canada – 18:15 Slovakia vs. Russia
- Cultivate film art: Get down to CULTIVATE FILM CLUB the only completely free pop-up indie cinema in Manchester at Joshua Brooks 106 Princess street. This Sunday from 7PM with the usual free rum and popcorn. We are showing the original DJANGO with Franco Nero. http://youtu.be/w8Ge2hmSTbo