It’s Bank Holiday time again which means an extra day of fun this weekend. The sun is also promising to make an appearance, so it’s a double win for those visiting Manchester. Here’s our top 3 ideas for what to get up to plus some lovely suggestions from our social media pals.
- There will be culinary treats aplenty at Lowry Outlet as it hosts its first ever Food Festival. With over 80 speciality producers selling their wares at the artisan market, live demos from popular TV chefs Gino D’Acampo, James Martin and Paul Hollywood plus live music, the festival promises to be a great 3-day event. Beer lovers should head to Dock Bar at MediaCityUK which is hosting free brewing masterclasses throughout the weekend.
- Manchester’s Northern Quarter turns into one big street party on Sunday for the NQ Takeover. From 12pm until 9pm 17 venues will be taking part across four streets – Thomas Street, Edge Street and parts of High street and Turner Street. They’re be food stalls, live music, DJs, children’s rides, outside bars, village fete stalls, face-painting, a quiz and even a dog show.
- Back across the water Sounds From The Other City returns on Sunday with a raft of new music for the revellers to enjoy. The festival is located the heart of Salford’s newly rejuvenated Chapel Street and takes in a huge array of unusual venues including historic pubs The Kings Arms and The Crescent, along with the beautiful St Philips and Sacred Trinity Churches. Smaller venues include phones boxes, crypts and kitchens.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @The_Printworks: We would highly recommend the May Day Extravaganza http://bit.ly/12ACN9e @The_printworks this Sunday lots of great #livemusic
- @visit_bury: Families will love Days Out with Thomas @eastlancsrly Train rides, magic shows, crafts …
- @SnowIsDancing: MOSI great if you’ve got kids or an inquisitive mind!
- @129Didsbury: Take a trip to W #Didsbury to check out all the fab independent shops, eateries and bars W #Didsbury #MCR
- @dukes_92: #castlefieldmarket on Sun then into @dukes_92 for a live music & tasty hog roast! Hopefully fingers crossed sitting in the sun!
- @BBuddhaBeauty: Come along to Tatton park we are holding a huge spring sale loads of stalls on Sat, Sun and Monday plus beautiful grounds
- @NQManchester: Sunday, the Northern Quarter Street Parties return. Not to be missed. It’s the Northern Quarter Takeover! http://northernquartermanchester.com/northern-quarter-takeover-returns/
- @mcrperegrines: Come & meet the fastest animal in the world & our chicks living in #manchester http://www.rspb.org.uk/datewithnature/150761-manchester-peregrines …
- @mjfashion82: Manchester museum and lunch at the Oast house!!
- @misterknight: @manbears The Village…it’s The Great British Bear Bash-exciting events going on and lots of handsome, hirsute and jolly men!
- @louisebolotin: A day at @CastlefieldMrkt on Sunday is always worth the trip
- @RichardJABanks: Wharf BBQ starts tomorrow or northern quarter street party Sunday
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Paul Murray: Star Wars art exhibition at Generation gallery
- John Franklin: Three pieces of surprising new performance at Contact 7.30pm tonight, only £5/3 #WorksAhead http://www.wordofwarning.org/current/2013-worksahead
- Kim Hutson: As always with the first Sunday of the month… Tudors Live! at Ordsall Hall – meet real Tudors and partake in lots of family friendly Tudor activities. All activities free and free admission (donations gratefully received!) 1pm-4pm on Sunday. Exchange Quay tram stop.
- Liam Paul Brown: Free Comic Book Day! Every 1st Saturday of May, Travelling Man and Forbidden Planet will be taking part.
- Jen Nicholson: Food festival at the Lowry outlet …with Gino D’Acampo, James Martin and Paul Hollywood….also craft exhibition on a Mcr Central (gmex)…ooh I’m gonna be busy this wknd
- Lucy Cort: NQ Street Party on Sunday for sure!
- Jess Foggett: Green Walk in Whalley Range have an open house arts and crafts weekend, pop over for tea and cake on the green and have a mooch at what’s on offer http://www.greenwalk.co.uk/ https://www.facebook.com/events/361270033994251/
- Louise Marks: What else on May the 4th… Star Wars exhibition at Generation Gallery!
- Cath Brady: The Mellor March. Walk around the boundary of Mellor, Stockport and enjoy the fabulous countryside.
- David Hardman: Tour of old Trafford