With a bumper 4-day Easter weekend ahead there’s plenty of time to relax, eat chocolate and still have lots of fun. It was difficult to narrow it down but here’s our top 3 things to get up to, plus some bonus suggestions from our Twitter and Facebook friends.
- Kick off your weekend at Spinningfields annual Manchester Duck Race tomorrow, where you can watch thousands of little yellow ducks race their way down the River Irwell. The main race kicks off at 2pm with family entertainment from midday. May the best duck win.
- Manchester’s award winning Sketch City returns for a special Easter weekend event and exhibition at Bench Self Made Gallery in the Northern Quarter. During the open day on Saturday a live mural will be created by some of Manchester’s finest artists plus feature workshops that will give everyone the opportunity to contribute to the exhibition and learn some street art and illustration techniques. The soundtrack to the day will be supplied by some of Manchester’s best live music acts and DJs.
- Theatregoers should head to Bolton’s Octagon Theatre this Saturday to see the new production of Tennessee Williams’ first great play, The Glass Menagerie. Set in a cramped St Louis apartment in 1945 the play reveals the regrets, hopes and frustrations of an abandoned family with the truth, humour and compassion for which Tennessee Williams is renowned.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @CornerhouseMcr: fill your wkend with lots of fab films. We’ve got Trance, Good Vibrations, No, Lore and Lawrence Of Arabia. Happy Easter!
- @MANCHESTERJOB: @TheOastHouseMcr to the duck race!!
- @davethesuede: Easter Sunday @cordbar NQ it’s the @rocknrolllounge Alldayer 1pm till late. Mod, Northern Soul, Ska, Reggae, Pysch, Beat etc
- @NewMcrwalks: In answer, recommend rare full tour of the Town Hall Murals – every painting, every detail – Sunday, 12 noon at Art gallery
- @CraigSutheran: live music @Zinc_Manchester on Sunday from 3 pm. No better place to enjoy a #sundayroast #roast #sharing #livemusic
- @Flirtybertie197: drag king night @via canal street Sunday night
- @cazzajohnson: Bring an Easter egg down to puregym #spinningfields and get a free day pass. All eggs donated to NSPCC . Between 28/3 -2/4
- @MatthewUnwin29: the easter egg race sounds good
- @smtimmy: have raspberry bellinis on the roof terrace at Dukes Castlefield overlooking the canal, stunning! pic.twitter.com/AUTF6qpN57
- @moco0161: manchester duck race @Spinningfields
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Andrew Hayward: Check in to a hotel, go to the Arndale or Trafford centre to do a spot of shopping then its time for a coffee and bite to eat, back to the hotel to ready for a night on canal street or many other pubs or clubs in the 24hour city.
- Dave Bate: The new ride in Piccadilly Gardens . Which opens tomorrow.
- John Hall: See 3 great , important, new bands for FREE at the groovy Ruby Lounge on Friday ,thanks to the BBC.