Spring may not have sprung but that is no excuse not to get out and enjoy the many wonders of our great region this weekend. Here’s our top 3 ideas for what to get up to, plus some lovely suggestions from our faithful social media followers.
- Enjoy a great a day out at the annual Ramsbottom Chocolate Festival, which returns for the fifth time this weekend. This popular two-day chocolate-themed extravaganza also offers great street food, a beer tent (with chocolate beer of course), live music, a mini farm and a giant Easter egg hunt – what’s not to love?!
- For a visual extravaganza head to the Speed of Light event taking place tonight and tomorrow night at The Quays. Hundreds of runners will create an illuminating human work of art bringing the former industrial dockland site to life with movement, light and sound through specially designed light suits in choreographed patterns set to specially commissioned music.
- It’s the opening weekend of The Magic of Beatrix Potter at Tatton Park where visitors can see characters and scenes from her famous stories and follow trails through the mansion, farm and gardens. Visitors will also have the rare opportunity to see an exhibition of her original watercolours and drawings.
Here’s what our Twitter followers recommend:
- @CornerhouseMcr: Come in out of the cold and catch the last few days of #Viva2013 Festival and our #RosaBarba exhibition.
- @CastlefieldGall: Free artists talk with Hayley Newman & Emily Speed at @CastlefieldGall http://ow.ly/1TQMm6 part of @WonderWomenMcr
- @voiceofmosi: Take a steam train ride in our snug carriage http://ow.ly/i/1JHeU – some great #AllAboard events too http://ht.ly/jjub2
- @dskay2011: things to do at weekend, contact @dskay2011 or @GhostGrapplers last few tickets for Ghost Hunt at Ordsall Hall Sat 9pm-1am ☺
- @SMancparkrun: start the day with a free 5k! 9am Saturday Platt Fields. All welcome. Register here: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/register/
- @CandlesMyWay: visit the small town of Ramsbottom and visit the @ChocFestival #chocfestival lots of cafes, shops, pubs and a steam train!
- @LoafLiving: It’s got to be Raqib Shaw, amazing exhibition! So glad we got it in town http://www.manchestergalleries.org/whats-on/exhibitions/index.php?itemID=95
- @bananacharlie: Go and try some yummy ales @BarFringe1996 . Voted North manchester cider pub of the year
- @4MCRWomen: #AnOasisİnTheCity on Sun Old Parsonage Didsbury. SHOP, PAMPER, LEARN. İnspirational indi businesses http://www.4manchesterwomen.co.uk/events
- @MayoManchester: @levymarket 40 local traders start new Street market in #Levenshulme South Manchester @lovelevenshulme #FreshlocalProduce
- @John1Williamson: obviously go and see the theatre of dreams! #OldTrafford
- @PercyBysshe: Duodecimo perform Fauré’s Requiem and music for Passiontide at St Michael’s Church Flixton tomorrow http://www.stmichaelsflixton.co.uk/
- @BakeOrama: indulge in cake & coffee @homesweethomenq !!
- @RammyStu: There can be only one destination…a trip on @eastlancsrly to visit @ChocFestival
- @SoLiTaNq: I’d say no visit to Manchester would be complete without a ‘Big Manc’ pic.twitter.com/9hQddokBpW
And here’s what our Facebook friends recommend:
- Kevin Peel: Wrap up warm and enjoy a nice hot chocolate and a bit of cake at Home Sweet Home!
- Sally Greenhalgh: Speed of Light
- Simon Wright: Manchester Futsal Club vs Manchester City FC Legends as part of Velocity at National Cycling Centre. Its all for charity and it is indoors! Kick off 5pm tomorrow. Free entry. See City stars including Patrick Viera play Futsal! http://www.manchesterfutsal.com/latest-news/mfc-weblog.php?subaction=showfull&id=1363810267&archive