It’s the weekend so head to Manchester for a weekend of top events. Here are our top 3 ideas for what to get up to this weekend plus some bonus suggestions from our Twitter and Facebook friends.
On the Sunday 17th the St Patrick’s Day Parade travels from the Irish World Heritage Centre through the city centre reaching Albert Square at 1pm. Expect lots of green liveried floats, Irish dancing and Gaelic music.
Alan Ayckbourn’s 63rd play, Sugar Daddies, continues its run at the Oldham Coliseum. This darkly humours play tells the story of naïve Sasha and her relationship with sinister “Uncle” Val.
Tonight, Salford City Reds take on Warrington Wolves in a Super League local derby. Salford are second from bottom so desperately need a win against the high-flying Wolves. As it is Red Nose Day there’ll be plenty of pre and post game entertainment.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @jacquicotter: St.Patrick’s day parade,Sunday 17th,one of biggest in World!Music, floats, costumes and.. Leprechauns! Gets to Albert Square 1pm.
- @Sunday_Blue: come to #ViveLeCabaret @The_Lowry tonight! Musical comedy, dance, circus, burlesque. 8-10pm
- @applesforeggs: Hop on the tram to #Altrincham and visit Sunday’s @Altvtgmarket in the old market hall – loads of vintage stalls, food, DJs
- @gypee: a visit to rylands library
- @goodnightlaura: Visit my Alice In Wonderland themed day in my shop on Floor 2 of Afflecks! Goody bags, cupcakes, jewellery SALE & giant teacups!
- @jayinmanchester: watch ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ at @rxtheatre – fantastic! And a #beautiful building
- @CastlefieldGall: Anyone interested in a career in animation/stop-motion: free talk on Sat with @MackandSaund & @maxhattler http://ow.ly/iYetF
- @CervantesMcr: Tour our wonderful city then feet up on Sunday with Matinee classic Las Largas Vacaciones del 36 #Viva2013 festival @Cornerhouse
- @emmacottam: become a culture vulture and get to @CornerhouseMcr for the Spanish&Latin American Film Festival! #Viva2013
- @bananacharlie: Visit Bar Fringe @BarFringe1996
- @PressMagMedia: A trip to @MediaCityUK & @The_Lowry shows a scenic side of Salford. (#MUFC is also nearby for a trademark site)
- @JayneBousie: @WhitworthArt Gallery have a concert at 12.30 on Sunday featuring @RNCMvoice students. Then check out the new exhibitions.
- @lukee11is: I’d recommend what I did last Sat: walk by Rochdale Canal, visit @WhitworthArt & @PHMMcr then northern quarter for drinks/coffee
- @porlcooper: anyone visiting a Manchester theatre this wkend shouldget behind http://www.mytheatrematters.com/ spread the word to ur 30k followers?
- @hownow_cc: buy an umbrella then enjoy Manchester’s diversity whilst dancing and singing in the rain.
- @WaxysManchester: get to @WaxysManchester for #StPatricksday
- @OutdoorsNerd: I’d recommend visitors to Manchester go to the northern quarter and chill out in one or more cafes with a good book.
- @gheywood1: buy my book and then go on a walk round the city centre to visit the locations in it!! Revenge Grows Harsh http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revenge-Grows-Harsh-ebook/dp/B008WL3GRS/ref=tmm_kin_title_0 …
- @TeacupReview: we would recommend a trip to the fabulously quirky @richmondtearoom – perfect for any curious afternoon tea lover!
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Erasmia Constantinou: Irish Festival and the parade
- Jennie Lawrenson: Book yourself in for some well deserved pampering from Spa Satori and relaxation with 18th Floor views of Manchesters exclusive Skyline in Northern Quarter! Swimming & Jacuzzi Pool Gym and steam room. 01618192465 http://www.purebalanceuk.com/#!spa-treatments/c184j
- Jennifer Dean: Interested in a career in animation/stop-motion? Free talk on Sat at Salford University Media City Campus featuring world renowned puppet makers and producers Mackinnon & Saunders (famous for Postman Pat, Bob the Builder, Pingu and Fantastic Mr Fox, Mars Attacks!, Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie…) and internationally acclaimed moving image artist Max Hattler who will discuss their careers and the different avenues into the industry. Booking essential http://www.castlefieldgallery.co.uk/event/6-million-ways-of-getting-into-the-arts-animation/
- Brian ‘Jenks’ Jenkins – Manchester photographic in NQ. Cummins Smiths and Moz exhibition.
- Sally Greenhalgh: Raqib Shaw at Manchester Art Gallery
- Sharon Stoneham: Go see some theatre!
- Lindsey Foxy-Brown: Go and buy an umbrella, it’s teaming it down lol oh and pop down to Canal St and have a drink or two
- John Hall: I found Mockingbird and 3 little birds dissapointing…go see the fantastic Time and Space Machine at the great Band on the wall on Sat, cosmic!