It’s time to down tools and enjoy a couple of days of relaxation. Manchester is brimming with lots of lovely things to do for all ages. Here’s our top 3 ideas for what to get up to this weekend, plus some bonus suggestions from our social media pals.
1 Immerse yourself in Victorian life at the Museum of Science & Industry’s (MOSI) free Steam, Sweat and Sewers event. Visitors can find out how the Victorians lived, worked and played, and experience the sights, sounds and sometimes even the smells of Victorian Manchester through a range of exciting interactive events for all the family.
2 It’s the opening weekend of the Library Theatre Company’s production of Brecht’s anti-war epic Mother Courage and Her Children at The Lowry. Set on the bloody battlefields of the 1618-1648 Thirty Years’ War, Brecht’s provocative, gripping story has a rich mixture of narrative, incident, music and dry humour.
3 Fancy treating yourself this weekend? Head down to the lovely Opus Reserve Champagne bar, set in the beautiful colonnade of Radisson Blu Edwardian Free Trade Hall hotel. Whether you fancy or glass or bottle, Prosecco or Champagne, there is plenty to choose from. Take a sneaky peek at what’s in store in the video below.
Here’s what our Twitter followers suggest:
- @CornerhouseMcr: Get your teeth stuck into the epic Indian gangster 2 parter Gangs of Wasseypur. Part 1 screens on Sat http://bit.ly/ZrJKdt
- @EngineMuseum: go see Les Miserables at #Z-Arts, it is fantastic
- @AgapanthusInt: @AnnieSloanHome painting workshop. 2 places left for this Sunday. Learn how to transform furniture into beautiful vintage pieces
- @revealmcr: Mosley St & Northern Qtr guided tour Sun 24 Feb meet noon outside Mcr Art Gallery £7. Fashionable societies of C19 Mcr and more
- @librarytheatre: how about getting your Brecht on with the opening weekend of #MotherCourage @The_Lowry http://bit.ly/TtfCFF
- @ginger_bec: start in City centre visit MOSI, nip to Dukes for lunch, northern quarter browsing for afters, drinks at cloud 23 as the sun sets
- @HLCupcake: call in our cupcakery to try our NEW Breakfast daily specials collection which launches this Saturday! pic.twitter.com/sxFKA8JU5H
- @jackoaroo: definitely eat/drink in @BeaglesAbout in Chorlton! Maybe a trip to Manchester museum on Oxford road!
- @haikumad: Go to the Royal Exchange Theatre to see ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ or if u can’t get tx, check out the building itself – spectacular
- @nemooftheshire: if Victoria Baths is having an open wknd it’s well worth a visit!
- @neesha86: #KroBar
- @KatePinkSmith: visit @AustralasiaMcr for their porn star martinis and / or rose & lychee martinis, not forgetting their chips! And amazing fayre
And here’s what our Facebook friends suggest:
- Jessie Gibbs: Last chance to see Four in Cornerhouse Gallery 1